Reply to Thread

Thread: Queen's/Shakespeare's Birthday

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland

Queen's/Shakespeare's Birthday

Seems to have been forgotten again
    This was one of our 3 designated "special days" to bring all language servers some equality on the free gifts, like France getting Bastille Day etc... but seems to have been forgotten the last few years.
    Seemed to drift to St George's Day a couple of years ago which BB_Ravel 1st proposed before an outcry from the non-England regions of the UK.
    French servers still getting theirs, Bastille Day etc.., so are the Germans with Feuer-Tag etc... (plus their bonus 4th with the anniversary of TSO), but we're back to the bad old days again with jack for the last few years, as if our money and dedication means nothing.
    Please bring back the equality, a number of players and BBs worked very hard to create a fair balance and nominate days that were acceptable to most.
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Northisle
    Need an active BB for it to be sorted Nog and cannot recall when our BB last surfaced

World
    Newfoundland
    Yes, noticed the last few missives have been issued from the Neander Valley, but this has been going on at least 2 years now.
    Getting sick of being treated 2nd class and busting a gut to compensate for broken events.
    Not much to show for almost 9 years loyalty.
    Give us a key to the Personnel office in Ubi's Paris office and I'll send out a couple of job offers that'd fix this.
    We love our new CM.

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    How about Happy Convict day for all us DownUnder too?

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelangelo View Post
    How about Happy Convict day for all us DownUnder too?
    why?

World
    Newfoundland
    French servers just got their May Day gifts today, so it seems we are being singled out for special (non) treatment.
    We love our new CM.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Its VE day something should be done for that that covers this entire server

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland
    Hey everyone.

I will look into this for sure!
    Last edited by BB_Trafffer; 11.05.20 at 11:00.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Northisle
    Thanks, we've not had anything for 2 years now and this was supposed to be the "fairer" system to make all language versions equal.
    Also, for some reason, the anniversary of TSO beginning is only "celebrated" on the German servers, surely every nationality should be sharing the joy.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Trafffer View Post
    Hey everyone.

I will look into this for sure!
    Are you still looking?
    French have now just had their "Quatorze Juillet" gifts, won't be long now before the German anniversary of the game coming out of closed beta, then the French anniversary and Germany's Feuertag will follow.
    Despite many changes in personnel, their calendars are still regularly followed, I believe so are the USA's although I can't check these days since mothballing that account, but we've been abandoned.
    Although the original forum announcements seem hidden from view, I still have the emails which passed between myself, our then CM, and Dusseldorf/Paris.
    After quite a bit of negotiation, due to our unique status in hosting so many different countries, we finally arrived at the following 3 "festive days" for the UK servers:

1) The game going from closed beta to open beta in January, this coincided with the opening of our 2nd server, Northisle. Personally I had hoped for Newfoundland's birth but overall BB felt the game going "open" was globally more significant.

2) Queen's Birthday/Shakespeare's Birthday. This was a late change from the original St George's Day after some vociferous objections, most of which originated from north of Berwick.

3) Guy Fawkes/Bonfire night. This provided a nice spread across the year, the alternative suggestion of Midsummer's Day would have bunched all 3 into the first half of the year.

This is feeling like history repeating itself when BB erroneously thought the UK had lost interest in the series after abysmal sales of S2. In fact, we had had to make heroic efforts to get hold of the game, I managed to source mine from Hong Kong and later tracked down an "Expansion Pack" from the USA.
    In 2000 , following exchanges via email and telephone (which actually started discussing the new S3 game), we finally got to the truth. BB had hired Focus Multimedia to distribute S2, and very few copies ever reached the shelves. Most people only saw the game as a re-release on a strategy game compilation with Civ2 and Sim City 2000, and this only included the base game, not the Gold edition/expansion pack. The damage had already been done, with the series developing from input from what BB considered their core following in Germany, yet S2 still remains a firm favourite in many UK player's collections, often among their top selection from the entire series.
    In fact, until the Gold edition appeared on Gog.com, and latterly in UBI's History Editions, S2 has been a labour of love to try and find over here, we didn't fall out with the game, we just couldn't find it to purchase.
    Please don't make the same mistake again, these 3 servers are second only to the 14 German ones, and even provide more activity and game input than quite a few of those.
    We love our new CM.

Reply to Thread