Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PVP and Granite colonies

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Northisle

PVP and Granite colonies

hi there

i've sent out 75 (yes seventy five) explorers to look for granite. all on regular colony searches.

all failed. 675 maps of wood, titanium, gold, coal, marble but not a single one with granite

what am i doing wrong? is it a bug of some sort?

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Just chances I guess. Often when I look for a specific colony resource, I don't get it. Doing that many searches is just waste of resources. I learned to go with the 2nd or 3rd acceptable choice, and then when searching for next colony, I usually get more lucky.

I've never seen any percentage but it seems to me that higher resource colonies are rarer then lower level resource ones. On top of that it seems different sizes have different behavior - but then again it might just be down to chances. Have not played all those 9 sizes/levels enough to have any reliable data.

Just as I said above, after several unsuccessful searches pick one, conquer it, and hopefully on next you will be more lucky. Or maybe try different size for next search. Really just guessing from my side, but I did seem to be more successful in search for specific when I tried search on another size.

EDIT: Large colony search, got granite on first try. had no Titan Ore which I would be looking for.
    Last edited by Norton_C; 09.12.20 at 17:22.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRo79 View Post
    hi there

i've sent out 75 (yes seventy five) explorers to look for granite. all on regular colony searches.

all failed. 675 maps of wood, titanium, gold, coal, marble but not a single one with granite

what am i doing wrong? is it a bug of some sort?
    stop moaning have a cookie and relax let your sugar level settle

Wordsmith
    World
    Newfoundland
    touché

World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton_C View Post
    Just chances I guess. Often when I look for a specific colony resource, I don't get it. Doing that many searches is just waste of resources. I learned to go with the 2nd or 3rd acceptable choice, and then when searching for next colony, I usually get more lucky.

I've never seen any percentage but it seems to me that higher resource colonies are rarer then lower level resource ones. On top of that it seems different sizes have different behavior - but then again it might just be down to chances. Have not played all those 9 sizes/levels enough to have any reliable data.

Just as I said above, after several unsuccessful searches pick one, conquer it, and hopefully on next you will be more lucky. Or maybe try different size for next search. Really just guessing from my side, but I did seem to be more successful in search for specific when I tried search on another size.

EDIT: Large colony search, got granite on first try. had no Titan Ore which I would be looking for.
    i've sent 3 times all my explores out on med and no granite. 3x85x9 thats a lot of no granite maps
    also asked support for a blueprint of how colonies drop works. i was told they don't have it

i was advised to ask on forums. that made me laugh. even looking on here, not many are willing or knowing

i guess better luck next time

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRo79 View Post
    i've sent 3 times all my explores out on med and no granite. 3x85x9 thats a lot of no granite maps
    also asked support for a blueprint of how colonies drop works. i was told they don't have it

i was advised to ask on forums. that made me laugh. even looking on here, not many are willing or knowing

i guess better luck next time
    It seems to me that repeated searches and especially on the same size tend to return very similar finds. Don't know why, might be just a coincidence, but it happened often enough to make me stop doing it. I usually make 2 or 3 searches max, if I don't get what I was looking for I just pick one, conquer it, and next search after that is usually different, get what I wanted. Again might be just a coincidence, but it seems to work for me. Without proper description we are left with guessing. But in general I usually get what I want, just not in this "drill-down" fashion.

And yes, PvP is poorly connected to the main game so not everybody is interested in it. Mostly the only attraction is the castle pop spaces. It needs some other incentive, like token, star coins, obsidian ore, crystals etc colonies. Even with little yield it might attract much bigger attention of crowds. Plus some more development after level 30 is reached, like next 30 levels to build cruiser ship anchored at the castle with 3000 more pop spaces, and floating storehouse to improve internal storage which is ridiculously small, so small that you can easily overfill it with just one load of 6 colonies. And there are more ways how to make PvP more attractive. As it is, after finishing the castle there is hardly any reason to play it any further.

World
    Newfoundland
    Here are my two cents about it, because I've been there before and there are other threads about this: there's a finite and extremely limited amount of granite colonies and if one sends out to search/conquer for those on a Monday or Tuesday, chances are that those will be in the hands of other players and cannot be attacked for 12 straight hours (thus no map showing available when searching for one).
    If you need to conquer such colony for your Pathfinder I suggest either you start asap when the new PF is reset or you simply wait until say Wednesday with more chances to overtake a colony from someone (and keep your fingers crossed nobody will overtake it before you fulfil your quests as those colonies are evidently very much sought after).

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Elco View Post
    Here are my two cents about it, because I've been there before and there are other threads about this: there's a finite and extremely limited amount of granite colonies and if one sends out to search/conquer for those on a Monday or Tuesday, chances are that those will be in the hands of other players and cannot be attacked for 12 straight hours (thus no map showing available when searching for one).
    If you need to conquer such colony for your Pathfinder I suggest either you start asap when the new PF is reset or you simply wait until say Wednesday with more chances to overtake a colony from someone (and keep your fingers crossed nobody will overtake it before you fulfil your quests as those colonies are evidently very much sought after).
    That's an interesting point. Never thought of that as PvP is switched off on my PF, but thinking to switch it on at some point to at least give it a try. But what you say sounds like a perfectly logical explanation. If there is a limited number of some type of colony then it is possible for all of them to be in protect mode, hence no chance to find them, also supporting explanation for repeated search in short time span finding similar results.

EDIT: So I went to check Wiki for PvP related PF tasks ............ some seem a bit luck based, especially the one to defend colony ............
    Last edited by Norton_C; 11.12.20 at 17:56.

World
    Northisle
    it can't be that as you can see granite owned already by players and so far i've seen none of either owned or not

i've given up un it already but i'll send again on sunday and see if my luck changes then.
    i'll do it right after church

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton_C View Post
    And yes, PvP is poorly connected to the main game so not everybody is interested in it.
    Its not pvp since it does not, and never had, any form of player interaction. Its just another, more primitive version of adventures where you attack static enemies that cant fight back.

It needs some other incentive, like token, star coins, obsidian ore, crystals etc colonies. Even with little yield it might attract much bigger attention of crowds.
    The problem is, if you do make colonies yield what adventures do, you're still left with 2 problems :

- adventures already do it, while contributing to your main objective that is your level (which is required to unlock late game content) while colonies do not; adventures also allow alot more things that colonies dont ( flexibility of using different types of generals, or unit types that actually differ) so even if both reward you with the same, theres really no reason to do colonies still. Another drawback is you being require to produce and store different kinds of units that are unusable anywhere else - why bother when you can just do adventures.

- any kind of gimmick you introduce that builds over current colonies will not make them attractive, it will only make people want the gimmick. This already happened with the water castle, where you need colony xp points and you dont need the resources - so most optimal way to consume this particular bit of content is to do random colonies and do whatever, long as you maximize the xp gains, which isnt anywhere near the point of existantce of the colonies.

Considering the main yield is resources that are available in multiple places right now, in literall millions (since the production is infinite), this part of content is completely dead, and you wont revive it, barring a complete redesign which will never happen (since all the resources they have right now are tied into introducing a new house and a useless general every 3 - 4 months)

Reply to Thread