Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Interim client on Linux

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    I have gotten some success with wine.

Download the game and install it under wine.

Open the game page in developpers tool, open the console and use the gear icon to set "preserve log". Press the play button and it will post the link it tries to open.

Now run the game with:
    /usr/bin/wine "C:\users\<your username here>\Local Settings\Application Data\Ubisoft\The Settlers Online\The Settlers Online.exe" "<insert link from console here>"

This will start the game but it still crashes after I click the green checkbox on the starting dialog... backtrace attached.
    Attached Files

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    No linux client...no Joy...
    I can't play...(I didn't try wine)...but I expected that TSO wil work..this is sad day for me...

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    I got it working on Linux using VirtualBox. Not the best solution, but at least it works.

Download "MSEdge on Win 10" from https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...dge/tools/vms/

This is a free 90 days trial of Win 10 preinstalled as a virtual machine image.

Import it to VirtualBox, start it, and then open the webbrowser, log in and install the game client.

There are several different virtual machine images here also, which I have not tried. Should also be possible to use this solution on Mac.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddi View Post
    I got it working on Linux using VirtualBox. Not the best solution, but at least it works.

Download "MSEdge on Win 10" from https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...dge/tools/vms/

Import it to VirtualBox, start it, and then open the webbrowser, log in and install the game client.

There are several different virtual machine images here also, which I have not tried. Should also be possible to use this solution on Mac.
    this worked for me as well. posted a (looooong) description how to do it.

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove
    As I wrote in another thread, another solution (but that cost a bit of money) is to use a VM in the cloud.
    Got it working after 5 minutes on amazon lightsail, pretty easy to do.
    I took the 2g windows 2019 vm, it was running smooth enough.

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    For all those who are in same situation as I, running non-Windows SO I cann asure you that our leaving will make technical staff more happy. Sorry to find out that Ubi is Microsoft client.

World
    Newfoundland
    BB really sucks for not creating it for linux... too bad... they will lose a lot of players and learn his own lesson

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by UsUe View Post
    BB really sucks for not creating it for linux... too bad... they will lose a lot of players and learn his own lesson
    Not really some will be forced because there system cant work but most could play still if they put the effort in I know if i couldnt play and i loved the game i play i would do what ever i personally could to try and play and only failing that resign myself to not playing for a while..most of the complaints are from ppl to idle to even try

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddi View Post

I'm also surviving on this solution
    it is not optimal, it is pain and I pray for some linux unity client/browser plutin, but at least, I was able to play and gain something form winter event.

PS: what I did - KVM/QEMU howto:
    1 ) download windows ova from link above
    2 ) untar ova
    3 ) convert vmdk to kvm/qemu format # qemu-img convert -f vmdk -O qcow .....
    4 ) run image, download settlers client, play game ...

Reply to Thread