Reply to Thread

Thread: Legacy client login issues

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland

Legacy client login issues

Hi folks, posting this in case somebody finds something useful to get this client working.
    Two of my worlds are tied to very ancient UPlay accounts and I was expecting trouble from 1 in particular as it's always been stuck in a kind of limbo between a Legacy account and normal UPlay account.
    It's never let me log into the test server while the others did.
    When I lost a string of email accounts, it seemed to accept the change to a new one, but login was always hit and miss, so got in the habit of using the Legacy login which always worked and usually kept me logged in the next time I opened nrowser.
    So, was not surprised when trying to use the new client failed last night.
    I tried switching back to the UPlay login, which had worked before, certainly when the login procedure was changed in February, it still worked then.
    However, now it doesn't recognise the email/password method at all, just the legacy option.
    TTried using client with legacy and it failed repeatedly. Also tried "lost password" but that didn't work either.
    I then tried the former email address in case UPlay hadn't accepted, or had rolled back to, the old deleted one. No luck there either.
    So, tried following the instructions to link the Legacy account with UPlay, that failed on both the current address and the former one, but bizarrely stated that my UPlay name was unavailable, ie: already in use.
    Out of options, I decided to login to UPlay directly on UBI's site and see what details it held.
    (Just google UPlay and 1 of the suggested links is the login page)
    It wouldn't let me login there either, with old or new email address.
    Then had a bit of a brainwave, as it had denied knowing of either email address, I created a new UPlay account with the current email address, that worked apart from having to choose a new UPlay name as mine was already in use (Yes, by me you muppets!) Created one very similar to old one that would be easy to remember.
    After this, I reloaded The Settlers, and logged in via my Legacy login, then went to My Profile and started the "Link Legacy account to UPlay" procedure again.
    This time, linked it to the account I just made, and it worked!
    Even happier that I still show as logged in under my original name, not the new one and can continue posting in forum as myself.
    I then logged out, then went back in using the UPlay login instead, and launched client.
    As usual, first time failed, so cleared error message that was hidden behind the browser window and tried again. Each time, the client came up with "not responding" and heart sank. Tried a few times as it usually fails 1st time, but still stuck on loading, so instead of closing it, I left it for 5-10 mins and made a cup of tea. That did the trick, the client unstuck itself and I had a nice cuppa as well
    Don't know if any of this will help anyone else but it worked for me, I never fell for the lures of Fakebook so can't check anything on that score, but it may help that the key to this was to create a UPlay account directly on Ubi's site, not through Settlers, then try linking to that.
    Rather ironically, I got an in game message with a rather tasty reward for migrating, the irony being I couldn't get at it until I'd solved the login issues.

Just hope something from this helps others to get back into the game, honestly BB you made a pig's ear of this and just before the main event of the year.
    Good Luck,
    Nog
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland
    If you cannot log in using "Legacy Login" with legacy account, please try this:

1) Open: https://www.thesettlersonline.com/en/homepage

2) You will see 3 Login options: Legacy Login | Ubisoft Login | Facebook Login - please click "Facebook Login" instead of "Legacy Login"

3) Now go back, to the mainpage (you can use the "back" button). Now please click Legacy Login and try to login.

World
    Newfoundland
    Thank you Traffer, that worked for me on 1 occasion, but a player I was trying to walk through the process last night couldn't even get that to work.
    Something funny appears to have happened at UPlay since the login changes earlier this year, it appears to remember the names we created but not the email addresses attached to them. On my troublesome account I was able to login via UPlay using email address, or Legacy with account name, but in recent months only the latter worked.

I have assumed people have read this guide as well, but seems some have not, this guide will help fill in the gaps in my process:
    https://forum.thesettlersonline.com/...e-Step-by-Step

I would also recommend looking at the forums of diesiedleronline.de using a browser such as Chrome that can translate a page, some good ideas being suggested for unique problems.

The client is also very flaky in starting up, the 1st attempt usually creates an error message behind your browser screen which needs closing before trying again.
    It can easily take 6 or 7 attempts before it fires up, I find sometimes refreshing your browser helps if it's failing a lot.
    When it does start, it often freezes on the 2nd stage of the loading screen, with the blue background, and the window comes up with "NOT RESPONDING", however patience is a virtue here, leave it for 5-10 minutes (time to make a nice cup of Earl Grey or Darjeeling) and it seems to recover and continue loading. Any longer than that, I'd suggest closing it, closing the error screen, and trying again.

Regards,
    Nog.
    Last edited by Nogbad; 21.12.20 at 21:29.
    We love our new CM.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    I have had it fail to load a couple of times so far, closing the browser completely and reloading it has fixed it every time for me, I had no luck with refreshing the page once it stops working.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotugo View Post
    I have had it fail to load a couple of times so far, closing the browser completely and reloading it has fixed it every time for me, I had no luck with refreshing the page once it stops working.
    Thanks for the info, yes have tried that if it fails too often, just trying to have to avoid logging in all over again as you bounce from page to page.
    Can confirm it does seem to work sooner your way.
    We love our new CM.

World
    Newfoundland
    I got this link from friends on French server, might be of help to somebody.
    Needs translating.

support.ubisoft.com/fr-CA/Article/000075524/Lier-votre-Compte-Ubisoft#reviewaccounts
    We love our new CM.

Reply to Thread