Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Good but Old

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Korishan View Post
    It's actually fairly easily done. All you do is code up a translation script that loads in the old save data, and then updates it to the new data. It's done a regular basis when other games are updated heavily (ie, game engine update, major update from version to version, etc). After the saves are translated, then the code can be disabled and not used again.
    Every save file has, or should have, a version number in the first few lines so the engine knows what script to apply to the data.
    I would honestly love to see response from BB to this. You make it sound so simple and thus suggesting that BB coders must be completely ignorant for not doing it the way you suggest is so easy and so much superior to how they are doing it now. Yet I somehow assume that if it is so easy and regularly done as you say BB sure are aware of this option and have their reasons. In fact, being a layman, that's what I expect them to be doing - have a script which translates the code block by block from Flash to Unity and then do all the tests and fixes to make sure it runs smooth and compatible with old model to enable transfer of our fully built islands to the new environment when it's ready. Somebody help me out................ Maybe we need a Dev Diary like we had in the past several time which would explain this part of transition in detail.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton_C View Post
    I would honestly love to see response from BB to this. You make it sound so simple and thus suggesting that BB coders must be completely ignorant for not doing it the way you suggest is so easy and so much superior to how they are doing it now. Yet I somehow assume that if it is so easy and regularly done as you say BB sure are aware of this option and have their reasons. In fact, being a layman, that's what I expect them to be doing - have a script which translates the code block by block from Flash to Unity and then do all the tests and fixes to make sure it runs smooth and compatible with old model to enable transfer of our fully built islands to the new environment when it's ready. Somebody help me out................ Maybe we need a Dev Diary like we had in the past several time which would explain this part of transition in detail.
    Then that would mean they would have to tell us how long they are in the process. I don't think they want to do that.
    The state test was in I would say they are very far from done. They kind of told us that the only reason it is not already live is that they did not want to implement it in the middle of the Easter event. The state test I was in - my guess would be Xmas or next Easter.
    If for some reason support feels the need to edit what I wrote, please delete entire post instead, dont put words into my mouth that I never said.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton_C View Post
    When i say it's fairly easily done, I don't mean that just anyone could do it. However, as a Novice coder in the early 2000's, I wrote several scripts that would allow for translating from one version of the save file to another.
    Now granted, they are most likely using a database like MySQL or similar to store all the data, however, reading from one source and doing the conversion to another version still isn't that difficult overall.
    This is how you add new stored information in the database/file. Otherwise, the data is gibberish to the code that doesn't know how to read it and it'll fail the loading.

And considering your comments about
    Not sure how well would that work with the home island when everything needs to be translatable, meaning our islands with all the stuff must fit new design perfectly
    means you aren't a coder, or are very new to the field.

It would be nice for the BB coders to chime in. But honestly, I doubt they will. They have continually shown that the majority of the process is a secret and don't want to share any information with us (unless it's on the German site, which I don't go to because, well, I don't speak German).

As Urd123 states based on the current condition of the client, they are no where near ready to roll this out. The past several months they made it seem they were ready to roll out shortly after Easter event was over, but that is faaaaar from the truth.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Korishan View Post
    When i say it's fairly easily done, I don't mean that just anyone could do it. However, as a Novice coder in the early 2000's, I wrote several scripts that would allow for translating from one version of the save file to another.
    Now granted, they are most likely using a database like MySQL or similar to store all the data, however, reading from one source and doing the conversion to another version still isn't that difficult overall.
    This is how you add new stored information in the database/file. Otherwise, the data is gibberish to the code that doesn't know how to read it and it'll fail the loading.

And considering your comments about means you aren't a coder, or are very new to the field.

It would be nice for the BB coders to chime in. But honestly, I doubt they will. They have continually shown that the majority of the process is a secret and don't want to share any information with us (unless it's on the German site, which I don't go to because, well, I don't speak German).

As Urd123 states based on the current condition of the client, they are no where near ready to roll this out. The past several months they made it seem they were ready to roll out shortly after Easter event was over, but that is faaaaar from the truth.
    It's don't matter how much you do or don't know about coding or how long you been doing it, when the issue at hand is not a coding issue your wisdom on the matter of coding is worthless. If you go back and read what the OP posted you would see it's a question about Graphic design which would need years of work beforehand and has nothing to with moving the game to Unity.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by DorotheusII View Post
    It's don't matter how much you do or don't know about coding or how long you been doing it, when the issue at hand is not a coding issue your wisdom on the matter of coding is worthless. If you go back and read what the OP posted you would see it's a question about Graphic design which would need years of work beforehand and has nothing to with moving the game to Unity.
    In the world of programming, especially with engines like Unity and Unreal, graphics and coding go hand in hand with these types of things. All that is really needed is to use the existing image files to be used as a mesh on new objects. They may need a little bit of tweaking, but it can be done.

But you obviously have no idea what you are talking about as because the information in my previous 2 posts has "nothing" to do with graphics, but placements of sprites on the map. This is a coding thing, not graphics design thing. The sprite could look like anything. The location of that sprite is determined through code. And knowing which sprite to load and where to place it, is in code.

All the items on the map are called sprites. They are all objects that are read by code, interpreted by code, placed by code, saved/read from files by code. Even their assignments are done in code. For example, all the Geos most likely use a base sprite, they all look the same initially. Then through code, you assign different stats to give different Geos their skills. Same with Gens and Explorers. It's all in the code. And once you become like Neo, you too will see the code that runs through the veil of the UI.

Reply to Thread