Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good but Old

World
    Newfoundland

Good but Old

I think it's nice to have back in our browser the game, but I think you're getting unity wrong way.
    You're not using their optimized stuff, but you're relying on your old tiles.
    this way it's not optimizing anything and it's resulting very complex for the engine.

I think you should take more time, and try to re design stuffs using their optimized engine.
    Don't worry about having it look like bit different, it will be better for sure, and mostly NEW

This is my opinion. Don't copy and paste old tiles, make new optimized ones.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    I agree. They should have started fresh, but they are pressed for time now, because they did not start doing this when it was announced that flash was going to be terminated. Instead they seems to have been waiting for flash to go on. They have had several years to do this, so I am also very disappointed to see a game that looks exactly as the old one, just with more bugs.
    If for some reason support feels the need to edit what I wrote, please delete entire post instead, dont put words into my mouth that I never said.

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    It is the old game and Unity port is done to continue the old game. What did you expect? BB did not say they are coding a new game.
    Last edited by Norton_C; 01.05.21 at 09:32.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Northisle
    Seems to me what is on test is much like we had wayyyyyy back in the closed beta days but with different bugs. Is quick to load then slow to play but does show how much the game had moved on before the death of flash, and hence the good standard we were able to enjoy. Just hope BB get the test verion bugs sorted before it goes live,

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    you have to enable the webgl on your brownser, it's much better after

World
    Newfoundland
    You don't have to code a new game, just dont copy over sprites, just design the map with new unity tools, put trees. put lights.. and so on. It's optimized for that

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by UsUe View Post
    You don't have to code a new game, just dont copy over sprites, just design the map with new unity tools, put trees. put lights.. and so on. It's optimized for that
    Not sure how well would that work with the home island when everything needs to be translatable, meaning our islands with all the stuff must fit new design perfectly. On top of that, early on, when I was trying to understand what Unity brings, I read in several places that Unity in-engine graphics is very poor quality. So can't really tell, not being coder, but can imagine what you easily say on paper would not be so easy to implement in reality. And if what you say is valid in any meaningful way, we can probably expect some new maps being designed this way in the future.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton_C View Post
    It is the old game and Unity port is done to continue the old game. What did you expect? BB did not say they are coding a new game.
    No, they are doing it even worse. They are basically copying the old code from the old platform, pasting it into Unity code editor, and then fixing the errors in the code. You can see this because the same errors in game play are happening.
    It's not that hard to use the old code as a base model, and then update it with new code in the new model as UsUe is stating. There is sooooo much stuff they are killing right out of the box because they aren't using the Unity engine to its advantages. Basically taking a ferrari engine, dropping it in a fiat, and turning off 3/4 of the cylinders so it "puts around town like the old fiat did"

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by UsUe View Post
    Yeah, the moving the map around and the titles loading "every time you move" is extremely annoying. There is no reason to have to re-load the map every time you move around.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton_C View Post
    Not sure how well would that work with the home island when everything needs to be translatable, meaning our islands with all the stuff must fit new design perfectly. On top of that, early on, when I was trying to understand what Unity brings, I read in several places that Unity in-engine graphics is very poor quality. So can't really tell, not being coder, but can imagine what you easily say on paper would not be so easy to implement in reality. And if what you say is valid in any meaningful way, we can probably expect some new maps being designed this way in the future.
    It's actually fairly easily done. All you do is code up a translation script that loads in the old save data, and then updates it to the new data. It's done a regular basis when other games are updated heavily (ie, game engine update, major update from version to version, etc). After the saves are translated, then the code can be disabled and not used again.
    Every save file has, or should have, a version number in the first few lines so the engine knows what script to apply to the data.

Reply to Thread