I have not played from level 1 since the original beta, there are a few extra nice things now like being able to use collectables to fill wheat fields.

There are a couple of big stumbling blocks in my opinion. The leveling experience falls apart around level17 where progress suddenly stalls. The issue is that settler production speed is far too slow and the building license limit is too low. The license limit also restricts how much bread you can make to make new settlers.

I think a few adjustments would help the leveling experience a lot:

- make it so upgrading the mayor's house also upgrades the speed you gain settlers at, there could also be a bonus from each house similar to how schools work but maybe even slower. A couple of extra settlers a day per residence would still be a big help.
- provide a few more starting licenses, even 10 would make a huge difference since you end up having to choose between housing or production.
- remove gold coins as an upgrade cost for low level buildings, you can't really make them (I know the Harbor and the prov house via brew can make coins, but making 200 for a single upgrade would take weeks).

Just a few thoughts.