Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Disingenuous communications

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualan View Post
    Would u trust BB to run that scenario? :P
    That's not the point in question is it. Trying to sidetrack does not cover up for you giving false information, so rather address that instead of playing "smart".

Whether I trust them or not is irrelevant, I still wish they kept dual system until Unity worked.
    Last edited by Norton_C; 28.07.21 at 16:52.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Trafffer View Post
    I play the game and I'm not alone in the team. We have more Settlers here.

We are aware of the current situation, and since the same version of Unity has been released in all instances, we are not unique among the others.

I know it's currently very difficult to play for players who have islands and star menu full of buildings/items as taking action is really time consuming but we are doing our best to fix the issues.

I also got feedback from players who were finally able to get into the game after a few months because the temporary client didn't support some operating systems. They are happy to see their islands again, see their friends, but they also face the same problems as we do.

The dev team is working really hard to get The Settlers Online on the right rails, and many reports in the dedicated thread along with the Unity Test Server have been very helpful.

Once we got the details on the next update, we will share it.
    See their friends? lucky them, I cant see any of mine, happy to see their islands again, just not sure that they saw any buildings on the island I would guess. If you play, as you suggest that you do, do you operate prem? will you be getting the days that you havent been able to fully use the prem back? Lots of people on there have lost, and are losing, out on their purchased prem time. That should be replaced.

I am sorry traff, but until there is something tangible, then every coment you make currently just whittles away at your reputation and people's perception of the integrity of BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualan View Post
    Would u trust BB to run that scenario? :P
    i wouldnt trust them to lie flat in bed right now
    Last edited by BB_Trafffer; 29.07.21 at 10:19.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Forum over and out for me
    This is my last post on this forum. I have decided it is not worth the trouble. I have seen more of more of removing treads and post that is not according to what BB think is right. They don't like criticism, but then if they don't like that they need to be perfect, if you are not you should be able to take both positive and negative responses.

I also don't like that they don't care enough about their players to give a proper excuse with out putting blame on players, and an explanation for launching a version of the game they must have know as well as we did in advance that was not playable.
    The most appropriate response put here by a player was removed because it was seen as an advertisements, if you cant laugh at yourself if you do something this stupid, then I lose the last of my respect.
    I don't like censorship, I don't like people with no sense of humor.
    This is the rules they say -you cant even discuss them - then you are banned. Well that is their right. I also have right, I can chose to lose no more time on this and go doing something else, and so I will.
    If there is no sign of any change, in the quality of the game, or even better, a proper explanation and excuse for this mess, on front page within the next 2 weeks, then I om just out of forum, but also out of game.
    If for some reason support feels the need to edit what I wrote, please delete entire post instead, dont put words into my mouth that I never said.

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Urd123 View Post
    This is my last post on this forum. I have decided it is not worth the trouble. I have seen more of more of removing treads and post that is not according to what BB think is right. They don't like criticism, but then if they don't like that they need to be perfect, if you are not you should be able to take both positive and negative responses.
    Hello Urd.

I have already responded in-game to your concern about the one thread that has been removed and explained the reason to you. The creator of the thread also received a message from me stating the reason. You seem to realize this, as you mention it in your post. We only delete posts that violate the rules or, in the case of a dedicated report thread, that are not bug reports. I am surprised by this opinion as it shouldn't take long to find negative posts over the forum/in-game - we have no problem with that and we understand the reason why players are posting them. If you follow the forum/in-game rules, your post will not be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Urd123 View Post
    I also don't like that they don't care enough about their players to give a proper excuse with out putting blame on players, and an explanation for launching a version of the game they must have know as well as we did in advance that was not playable.
    I don't remember any message from us that would put "blame on the players." As I have mentioned many times in the forum and in-game (which you can also read on the website) we are fully aware of the technical issues and the dev team is working to fix them. The decision was made to switch from Flash to Unity technology because the Flash life is simply over and I'm sure I don't need to explain it here as everyone knows this topic well. The Unity Test Server was a great help to the dev team and the reports played a big role during the process. We were aware that with the launch of Unity some issues would hit the live servers, but these were only considered as visual/graphical issues, so bugs we consider as "game breaking" will not hit the Live Servers (you can read my old post here). After launch, some old issues (considered as "game-breaking") reappeared and we have to fix them, which the dev team is currently working on. The update will be released as soon as it's ready.

Currently, we can only apologize for the current state of the game and I want to assure you that the team is doing everything we can to bring the game to the state we all want it to be.
    Last edited by BB_Trafffer; 29.07.21 at 11:23.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove

We were aware that with the launch of Unity some issues would hit the live servers, but these were only considered as visual/graphical issues, so bugs we consider as "game breaking" will not hit the Live Servers (you can read my old post here). After launch, some old issues (considered as "game-breaking") reappeared and we have to fix them, which the dev team is currently working on. The update will be released as soon as it's ready.
    This exposes a fundamental flaw with the Test server. For many years we have been told that some bugs seen on the Test server only exist because it's the test server and that the live servers are different. This means there are going to be bugs which don't reveal themselves in the Test cycle leaving BB having to deploy a HOTFIX with just about every new deployment. So despite being slapped in the face for many years you now find the game smashing you over the head with a baseball bat.

Most kids by the time they are 5 have learnt the lesson of if it hurts don't do it again, yet here you are having failed to have learnt that entering into your teens. You need to sit down and have a good think about how can you redesign the test cycle so that it causes both you and us less grief. It's time that you proved to us you have got more smarts than little Johnny on his first day at kindergarten.

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove

I don't remember any message from us that would put "blame on the players."
    This comes from misinterpreted post from German forum about in-game lag and freezes being caused by too many items on the islands and in Star Menu. Not sure if it was distorted intentionally by players or just a sarcastic joke or if someone forgot to think before posting, but for a while there was a line of posts complaining about BB blaming players for the problems.

I think pretty much everybody who put a little bit of thought into the situation knows where the game is and what's going on. It's just the fact that communication from BB was not very clear and we had to fill in the dots ourselves. On the other hand I am impressed by the way you respond to Urd (personalty I will not miss his posts). Nevertheless, if this level of responsiveness from you (BB) was applied throughout the "crisis" and before Unity went live that would have prevented number of misunderstandings and suspicions from us.

You probably take this thread as personal attack and I think you are now doing much better job to help clarify things and maybe prevent or at least reduce such accusations in future.

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by DorotheusII View Post
    This exposes a fundamental flaw with the Test server. For many years we have been told that some bugs seen on the Test server only exist because it's the test server and that the live servers are different.
    Yes, this is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by DorotheusII View Post
    This means there are going to be bugs which don't reveal themselves in the Test cycle leaving BB having to deploy a HOTFIX with just about every new deployment.
    Not exactly. Please note that it was a really big operation. It wasn't just an "update". We changed the game technology (engine), but it also requires changes around the game (systems, website, infrastructure). In the regular updates, you don't make so many changes at once. However, there is always a chance that something will not go as planned. We will do our best to make sure this will not happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Norton_C View Post
    It's just the fact that communication from BB was not very clear and we had to fill in the dots ourselves. On the other hand I am impressed by the way you respond to Urd (personalty I will not miss his posts). Nevertheless, if this level of responsiveness from you (BB) was applied throughout the "crisis" and before Unity went live that would have prevented number of misunderstandings and suspicions from us.

You probably take this thread as personal attack and I think you are now doing much better job to help clarify things and maybe prevent or at least reduce such accusations in future.
    If I took all the messages I see or receive as a personal attack, I would probably be elsewhere already

While the "crisis" happened, I did post in the hottest threads & in the game but due to the number of messages and new threads I realized it was just lost and decided to wait a while until the situation will cool down so my messages would be more visible. Also, keep in mind that the dev team also needed to figure out what exactly was going on so we could communicate what's next - and they need time for it. This was the reason why the Web-Post did not come out on the same day, but a day later.

I consider all the feedback I received and I will try to improve, so if anything similar (hopefully not!) will happen again, I will react differently.

I'm here for you my dear community.
    Last edited by BB_Trafffer; 29.07.21 at 12:38.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Northisle
    There is no longer any 'testserver' - since unity testserver was started only af few of the reported bugs were fixed ( at least only a few made it to be included in game updates ) - most bugs mentioned in change logs were not reported by players. - and testservers has not had any update since July 8th. ( no change log to tell what was fixed ).

World
    Sandycove
    Sorry trafffer, but your reply to DorotheusII misses the point, and the point even us non geeks fail to understand. Having a test server to test the game and find bugs BEFORE it is released to live, is absolutely pointless if it is different. There should be as little difference between the two in order to be sure all bug fixes have been caught , fixed and are not free to re-materialise because of those differences. If you need proof, this release is case in hand.
    Not exactly. Please note that it was a really big operation. It wasn't just an "update". We changed the game technology (engine), but it also requires changes around the game (systems, website, infrastructure). In the regular updates, you don't make so many changes at once. However, there is always a chance that something will not go as planned. We will do our best to make sure this will not happen again
    We all know this was not going to be a simple update, we all know it was a major task, we gave you enough time since the original announcement (16/10/2020) to get it done. What has been presented to us, as a lot of work, barely resembles a months work for anyone with credentials as a programmer. The other thing I can not get my head around, with such a major change why did you not save the client as a backup? You changed us from flash to client, yes not totally smooth sailing, but surely a rollback from unity to client wouldn't be that much more complicated than that which you already achieved from flash, you've had the experience.
    You ( BB ) deployed it on test and received bug reports, especially concerning play ability, you deployed fixes, but nothing that corrected these main, basic, issues. Your (BB)`excuse' that this may have slipped by, was because you did not get further reports ( duh because people could not get in, or were fed up talking to a brick wall ) Did your dev team ask? obviously not from what I've read. ( Some may have interpreted that as pointing the finger of blame at players, just a thought )
    If you want to do your best so this won't happen again, you need to re-think test server and make it a mirror image to what you want to deploy on live. You need to treat your testers with respect and act on their issues and then show them your fixes and work with them as a team. Test your fixes. Is this even being considered? My opinion from what I am seeing, nope. Your not going to change because you (BB) know best. Your doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result. Well we all know what that is the definition of. ( save Googling it, it's Insanity Lol) What I see is live servers being returned to a beta testing game, Devs stumbling along in the dark, making small inroads to things that often don't effect the main play ability ( Lag/functional UI ), and throwing out more promises of fixes in the `next' update.
    When you start listening and not just hearing, you'll improve, but time is running out, patience is running out and confidence in BBs Devs is in pieces.
    With regard to the hilarious and fitting removed post, well it brought a smile where one was desperately needed. Rule break? hmm fine line you have to walk to not alienate the few players you have left in such troubled times me thinks. Personally, having a `happy hour ' thrust in my face when the game has been broken is far more insulting to myself as a player. But rules are rules, and BB inappropriate actions which cause me offense are not covered by rules. Devs expect payment no matter what they do or don't do. Funny thing is upset me and you'll have to look elsewhere for your money, I reward competence without being asked, those that don't deliver get nothing.
    Edit: Well I give the community Manager a hard time, so that's something
    Last edited by Larili; 29.07.21 at 19:47.
    Are we to be told of adventure changes or not? 1 Month on and still SNEAKY RB changes have not been mentioned

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    The test server isn't pointless as a lot of issues and bugs will be present across all instances. The various language servers will all be slightly different as well i bet- They have to make some choices where to test what. It is far from ideal but a test server will catch most big issues in time.

Unity is a whole different ballgame- But i think they approached it wrong on test 2. Probably the best option would have been to request players for a closed beta with copyíng over their accounts to test and have test 1 run the "normal" test environment (or the other way around as test1 was moved to unity after test 2 was live)

That might have caught these issues and pushed back the unity release till after gamebreaking issues were solved

Anyway i think my definition of gamebreaking also isnt the same as BB as i never found test playable even after their fixes - and that was without full islands or full star menu

Reply to Thread