Reply to Thread

Thread: Testing???

World
    Northisle

Testing???

Was any testing done on this at all? If I released software in this state I would be fired on that day. I genuinely don't understand your thinking, you must have alienated thousands of players.

If it is acceptable to you to release a version of the game where loading the game may or may not happen, clicking on something is a lotto, drawing the map takes minutes including just navigating the map, buttons may or may not work and game freezing for 30-40 seconds can occur just for trying to open something like the star menu or a building you must have no standards. The client version of the game may be a little unpopular but at least it worked.

I get that there are always deadlines and financial pressures in software development and I'm not just being negative, I honestly want to be supportive but I find it impossible to believe that anyone in BB looked at the Unity version in this state and said 'Yup! That's gonna make money.'. You knew years in advance that Flash was on it's way out and your response was to wait until the last minute and then sabotage your own product.

Luckily for the players, there are other online games to play which have been developed before release.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Not only did they do all you said - they wont admit to it.

Instead they are blaming their players - they are bad at making bug reports - therefor they was mislead into believing hat the ... really worked - and beside that - it is our messy star menu that is to blame. If it was not for the fact that I like this game and the friends I have who play, I was long gone.
    If for some reason support feels the need to edit what I wrote, please delete entire post instead, dont put words into my mouth that I never said.

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Yep, we tested it, we made the bug reports, we even told them that as even the basic interface wasn't working, this was months/years away from being fit for purpose.
    This is supposed to be the "fixed" version of what we tested, it isn't. If we'd seen this on Testing we'd have said, "you've fixed nothing".
    I've been a part of The Settlers since 1992, if Volker had ignored us like this the game would never have been released at all.
    Utterly disgusted, BB have to apply the "last known good" principle and return to the client, with all its flaws, until they can produce something vaguely playable, otherwise it's going to be "will the last person to leave please turn out the lights".
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Sandycove
    As someone who started work in commercial IT in 1966, I never saw during my working life an application in this state. Individual programmers would have tested their 'bit' well & finished to the best of their ability before trying to bring the whole thing together. My speciality was testing & I should know. I didn't expect perfection. There never is until users are using an application in real life but, also in real life, something SO bug ridden could bring a bank or hospital or supermarket to its knees. We are hearing very little from BB. Perhaps they've all been sacked. Only what they deserve !!!
    I was not one of the nay-sayers in the run up to the release, believing they almost wanted failure. It now looks like BB were also wanted failure & the end of the game by default.
    I was always OK with the Client once it had loaded. I can't understand why its re-release isn't the easy simple, solution which players keep asking for.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Indeed Rosejan, if a software company, who's primary gold is the games they produce think that they've done a good job releasing this. There's a problem. On the 'news' feed there was kind of a feast message, we're there and gave you the new and improved version. This clearly was a marketing guy that didn't read the remarks on the forum or even joined the release team. Sad it is ending this way.

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    Surely they knew beforehand that players who have played for a long time would have a star menu full of generals and resources, why could they not have set up an island with a lot of generals and resources and test it themselves instead of blaming us.

Reply to Thread