Closed Thread
Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: A workaround to still use the old client

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    im wondering if someone might be able to help me please? i can get all the way to having the button to launch the old client but when i press it i get the following message:- 'Adobe AIR. Initial content could not be found for this application.'
    any ideas what ive done wrong? i have reinstalled everything from scratch but still get this message
    many thanks

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    How legal is it, if you have activated and paid for premium in advance (activated) to only find out that you can't play under Linux since half december 2020?.... It still is totally unplayable in any browser. Every time I click on a quest, it asks me if I really want to destroy that level 7 building etc..

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    Hi all, love this explanation, I have a slight problem. Have followed these instructions and come up with an error messae with regards to adobe air. Anyone with some expertise (hence no one from BB) able to offer me any advice as to how to resolve. Error message asks me to reinstall, have done this but no joy

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    Its not an error I have come across.

You do need to follow the instructions exactly though, if you skip a step because you cant find something then it's not going to work. Also if you repeat earlier steps then it's likely to undo what you did in some of the later steps so you can't jump around and do things in a different order.

Since this is just the old client and not something new, the same restrictions apply that also applied when things were changed from normal flash to the adobe air client. I think these were no mac/linux support and also a 64bit os was needed.

Other than that, saving the client.swf can cause some confusion. If you have file extensions showing then it should be called "client.swf", if you have them turned off (the default for windows) then it should just be "client" but the file type should identify as a flash file. When saving the file you might end up with your browser adding a "(1)" to the filename since it may find a duplicate file and it prevents you saving over the top of the old one. This won't work since the latest file will end up being called "client(1).swf". In this case it might be easier to delete all the client swf files and just resave a new one.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    Thanks Kotugo, so therefore, if the swf file downloads with a different file name I need to change it to client.swf? And in summary. You are an absolute, undisputed, genius.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    yes - or download it directly to the correct folder and let it overwrite the previous file, Downloading to the default download file usually gets the file renamed to client (number).swf and then u need to remove the (number) (be sure to also remove the space between client and the .swf as that seems to cause issues as well)

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Many thanks SirriS, would'nt be playing without your gift

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by luschious View Post
    does this work on Mac?
    https://forum.thesettlersonline.com/...-MacOS-why-not..
    Last edited by SirriS_RU; 04.11.21 at 10:17.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Trafffer View Post
    We are aware of this change but I suggest that you do not try it - this may end badly for your system. There is no guarantee it will make any positive changes to your game, and this method doesn't change the game engine - it's still Unity & the same build.

The use of any third-party tools, extensions, etc. is prohibited by TOS. We are not going to have a "witch hunt", but if we ever decide to activate the script in the future, there is no way around it.
    This is pure Stupidity The game doesnt work for most of us at the moment This workaround is the only way we can get into the game. IF BB Cared at all about the players they would add this as an automatic option on the homepage..

In fact I would go so far as to say that if BB had any intelligence they would ask SirriS_RU To come work for them and help sort out all the issues that are in game. I am not sure how many valuable players bb are willing to lose but its getting really serious now as many top level players across many servers cannot plaay this game on unity as it currently stands.... This is not unity's fault it is BB's

Saying that that there is no guarantee that the game will work better is so backwards when so many of us find that the game is running 99% smoothly on client as opposed to 5 % on Unity Please have some respect for us that play the game and who spend real money supporting BB

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    I can vouch that I wouldnt be playing without this either and I know many who are in the same boat.. well done SirriS_RU

Closed Thread