Closed Thread
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: A workaround to still use the old client

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton_C View Post
    Do I read it correctly that Flash client could be absolutely easily used along the crap Unity until now if only BB dd very tiny adjustments to make it accessible directly from their main page? No "impossibility" as BB and some "way-too-smart" "experts" on forums claim?
    From technical perspective yes, very easily at the moment. Wiki frontpage also now has a big link for their version of the instructions.

BB has not revealed why they are not doing it. It could be things like incompetence or licensing issue but at the moment they think it's better to let people quit the game for good and/or just make them more angry than give any reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by halv12 View Post
    I dont say that it dont work - and I dont say it is dangerous to use it now - I say that if BB changes something it MAY cause big problems or maybe not.
    Yes that is pretty obvious if new content and features are added but the Unity version has been delayed for several months already and it's still not even on par with the old version yet. It could take several more month to even get there. A lot of players have not been able to play for weeks. I have not played anymore because I just get zone refresh freezes every minute or two and those rollback many actions I have done making it useless to play.

The old client trick works perfectly and its currently possible to play like we used to with it. Too bad it does mean much as a lot of players don't know about it and those who see it here can see BB is fearmongering about it. The game is a ghost town to me as trade office has only 1-2 pages and our guild chat has only few messages per day.

Maybe it's just time to quit the game for good.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    well u can do it yourself and be in breach of said rules as told by traffer

Look at it this way: U break rules and play and are in the game when they change ot to the extent that client cant be used and then decide if u keep playing or not ..
    or

u play by BB rules and quit in frustration

or
    U break rules and BB decides to withc hunt and bban u - causing u to quit game

U can choose A, B or C :P

1 = people keep playing while stuff gets fixed, as it is at our own risk we cant complain when client keels over either
    2 and 3 are people leave and realistically 5% might return but most will be gone forever.

Not so difficult - not for us nor for BB - Seeing we still remember a similar situation regarding gold refils aka Parrot bug which they knew was there - was abused and nothing was done for over a year :P

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Trafffer View Post
    We are aware of this change but I suggest that you do not try it - this may end badly for your system. There is no guarantee it will make any positive changes to your game, and this method doesn't change the game engine - it's still Unity & the same build.

The use of any third-party tools, extensions, etc. is prohibited by TOS. We are not going to have a "witch hunt", but if we ever decide to activate the script in the future, there is no way around it.
    but when a script like this can do it in 5 min and it works, why haven't you selves implemented a button like this right away, when it was seen how bad unity was running ?
    Also didn't you selves post that it was not possible to do this cause of changes in the way things worked ? but it works, so was that just another lie to us players ?

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelgaard View Post
    but when a script like this can do it in 5 min and it works, why haven't you selves implemented a button like this right away, when it was seen how bad unity was running ?
    Also didn't you selves post that it was not possible to do this cause of changes in the way things worked ? but it works, so was that just another lie to us players ?
    BB have always been quick to say what they can't do ....and always slow to implement what they say they can do ...But remember BB are always right! ( In their own little world )
    I'm guessing that it has more to do with the licensing of the client than the implementation. However to admit that would point to their `investment ' in the game and whether they thought it viable and would it recoup the income from players ? If they don't think so, saying nothing or leaving the situation as `It can't be done' means they can continue to milk the hope of the addicted....and if like magic another `Happy hour' arrives ( Which we have been told is on a predetermined schedule and `Can't ' be changed )
    Are we to be told of adventure changes or not? 1 Month on and still SNEAKY RB changes have not been mentioned

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Exactly my point. I knew it was nonsense when BB claimed it can't be done, and some ignorant "would-be-experts" chimed in with the same idea, but did not realize how much they are actually lying to us. And it was the final nail in the coffin for me. Found another game and playing elsewhere. BB probably don't view is as lying to us, as they take it as "business" talk, but I find it disgusting still. As soon as I started playing another, functional game, which loads fast and works without bugs, my will to struggle with this TSO failure dropped to zero. So for now I'm basically out of here.
    Last edited by Norton_C; 13.08.21 at 09:50.

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland
    There are many reasons for this decision - (both public & behind the scenes), going back to Flash is impossible, mainly because Flash support is discontinued. We want to continue the "life" of The Settlers Online, so we decided to change the game technology (from Flash to Unity). Since this is a very "big" operation that involves a lot of work not only on the game itself, but practically everything related to it, it takes time and can cause issues/bugs.

We know that the current version is far from perfect, but our dev team is working hard and making progress every day. More updates are on the way.

World
    Newfoundland
    Happy hour. Cant connect since last update, as with many others. YOUR JUST TAKEING THE PISS NOW

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    Firstly, when people say they want the flash version back, they likely mean the adobe air standalone client and not the original flash version that was disabled some time ago.

People were asking for the move back to standalone because they had not considered both the standalone and unity clients could be used at the same time (whilst they are on the same version).

No one is asking for the unity client to be cancelled in favour of moving back to the flash client. The unity client is the future, but it's just not ready yet.

We want both clients to be made available until the unity client is usable. Having the option to pick either client when loading makes it much easier to keep testing whether the unity client is ready to be used rather than needing to play on the test site.

In my opinion:

1) pause development of new content until unity version is "finished" so the adobe air client stays functional.
    2) add the old client option into the website so the script is no longer needed
    3) remove the old client option once the unity version is bug free and resume feature updates.

The trade office traffic has dropped by ~90% since the unity release, if this in anyway reflects how active the playerbase is then the game is effectively dead while the unity client is the only option.

There is absolutely no point breaking the adobe air client to add something like a "multiple explorer send" option to the unity client whilst everything else in that client is on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Kriegor View Post
    Happy hour. Cant connect since last update, as with many others. YOUR JUST TAKEING THE PISS NOW
    have you tried the old client to see if that fixes the connection issues?
    Last edited by BB_Trafffer; 13.08.21 at 11:48.

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotugo View Post
    Firstly, when people say they want the flash version back, they likely mean the adobe air standalone client and not the original flash version that was disabled some time ago.

People were asking for the move back to standalone because they had not considered both the standalone and unity clients could be used at the same time (whilst they are on the same version).
    I totally understand what the players mean and as I said, for various reasons (both public and behind the scenes), running two different versions of the game, developing and supporting them is not the option we chose. We are fully focused on the Unity version. As you said, it's the future.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    I wouldn't expect development time to be spent on maintaining the adobe air client either.

The facts at this point in time are that the adobe air client still functions normally with the current game version whilst the unity version is unplayable.

If this drags on for too long with the only option being an unplayable client then they might as well close the game down rather than waste resources on developing the unity version. Given the rubbish progress since the unity version was released on the test site, we could still be in this state in another year.

Closed Thread