Closed Thread
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: A workaround to still use the old client

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Trafffer View Post
    There are many reasons for this decision - (both public & behind the scenes), going back to Flash is impossible, mainly because Flash support is discontinued. We want to continue the "life" of The Settlers Online, so we decided to change the game technology (from Flash to Unity). Since this is a very "big" operation that involves a lot of work not only on the game itself, but practically everything related to it, it takes time and can cause issues/bugs.

We know that the current version is far from perfect, but our dev team is working hard and making progress every day. More updates are on the way.
    Highlight to your comment above regarding: "... can cause issues/bugs." - As many people have questioned, are you guys even playing the current game yourself.
    What a joke

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    well we all saw this one coming a mile away and a year ago - we all knew client was a stop gap- alas what came out was worse than expected and probably a long way from being playable

Only hope we have is that the next few fixes don;t "fix" the old client without a playable unity version instead of soemthing that u can play but it is no longer a game but a source of aggravation and no fun

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    BB_Trafffer, you don't have to "develop and support" two versions of the game. BB could just literally make a news post saying "here's a third-party way to play with the old adobe air client. It's safe and we're not going to ban you for using it. We'll keep working on the new client and once it's good enough we will disable this third-party workaround." That's like five minutes of work and in exchange you'd stop a huge number of players from leaving the game.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by NotJoiningGuild View Post
    BB_Trafffer, you don't have to "develop and support" two versions of the game. BB could just literally make a news post saying "here's a third-party way to play with the old adobe air client. It's safe and we're not going to ban you for using it. We'll keep working on the new client and once it's good enough we will disable this third-party workaround." That's like five minutes of work and in exchange you'd stop a huge number of players from leaving the game.
    Well, they can't really do that can they?

The client is not third party software, it is BB software- most likely developed with a licence that no longer applies. So they can;t promote using something in breach of a licence agreement. Nor can they say "We know you are using it and we know you are breaking a licence agreement by using it but we will promise you we will not do anything about it"

Also: Saying they will allow the work around and will disable it in future will imply that they are supporting it... Which they keep saying they don;t. If they imply support and it is broken that opens a new can of worms as well

Both options opens them up to claims from the licence holder which is the last thing they want. These claims might end up more costly than losing players due to lack of clarity.

So best you can hope for is reading between lines that they wont do anything and hope you read it well enough. BB will not hold your hand nor give comfort in this. The risks with that are not worth it to them so it is up to you to decide what to do or not do and face the consequences (if any)

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Northisle
    too complicated, i'm really not that bothered lol

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by vigabrand View Post
    too complicated, i'm really not that bothered lol
    Agreed, tbh I think many are so fed up that they have joined the cba guild and many have given up totally

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    just started client: omg, what difference: everything does work, high quality graphics, no bugs...
    Add this option to the main site, browser version will be playable and enjoyable really not soon.

it is no longer a game but a source of aggravation and no fun
    Totally agree.
    Last edited by Marengo007; 16.08.21 at 15:24.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Well, another option in the doldrums

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove
    [removed] download and replace..
    Last edited by BB_Trafffer; 06.07.22 at 11:57.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    After 10 minutes loading, I get a message telling me to clear my browser cache, then the client exits. So I cleared the cache from the Internet control panel in Windows, but still get the same message. Oh well, it was worth a try.
    I'm using the client.swf posted above.

Closed Thread