Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Missing my friends and fellow guildies

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove

Missing my friends and fellow guildies

I haven't been able to get into the game at all since Unity launched, and I know I'm not alone. Just endless hammer man for me :-(

Am missing my friends and fellow guildies... have known some of them for many years. I just feel so sad, not being able to play anymore. Miss the chats and the friendly banter.

If I have to be something of a computer programmer to figure out how to get in, if I have to try to follow coding instructions on how to launch the old client, if I have to try to get in via a VPN (never tried it before, don't want to start), and if I have to clear my cache one more time - just forget it. I'm done, I'm out. Well done to those of you who were able to figure out a workaround. I don't have the smarts for any of that malarkey :-)

Will check back now and then to see if a miracle has occurred but I think the game did actually die when flash ended, like we all suspected it would. So disappointed. Goodbye to my friends - hope you are all doing well xxx

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Totally agree. It's been really bloody awful watching less and less of us on the Sandycove server. And now I can't see anyone. Not even my guild.

I hope to see you on the other side of this mess. :-)

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    I'm on the newfoundland server and can't even see chat so unable to catch up with anyone in my guild or on my friends list. Sent a guild message saying I was going into hibernation for the duration of this mess.

Reckon if they don't pull a rabbit out of a hat shortly then I will be done with the game and I reckon they will be in a spot of bother as I probably won't be on my own there.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by The_A_CE View Post
    Totally agree. It's been really bloody awful watching less and less of us on the Sandycove server. And now I can't see anyone. Not even my guild.

I hope to see you on the other side of this mess. :-)
    Thanks for the kind words and the solidarity :-)

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod- View Post
    I'm on the newfoundland server and can't even see chat so unable to catch up with anyone in my guild or on my friends list. Sent a guild message saying I was going into hibernation for the duration of this mess.

Reckon if they don't pull a rabbit out of a hat shortly then I will be done with the game and I reckon they will be in a spot of bother as I probably won't be on my own there.
    I feel like they just don't care about this game and are concentrating on others instead, waiting for this one to die of attrition

Nifty
    World
    Northisle
    Well, it IS a free game and only pays its way when players feel enthused to spend real money on gems.

I'd suggest the last 2 attempts of 100% bonus "happy (24) hours" (at least) have generated few if any sales, so the bean counters buried in the deepest bowels of Ubisoft may have indicated to senior management that the poor sales figures is "proof that this is no longer any interest in this game"!!!!

EVERY step that Ubisoft/BB have taken since the announcement by Adobe of Flash being retired would seem to prove that they intended to retire TSO at the same time. Based on the timings of everything to do with Settlers Alliance (starting, being announced, pre-orders, first closed testing, pre-order refunds and silence since pulling the whole project), it more logically seems that Ubisoft/BB intended to offer TSO players a sweetener deal to migrate to Alliance, but when Alliance went belly-up, they had to figure out what to do with TSO instead.

What we have seen since is evidence of poor last-minute planning, blinkered architects and analysts with no idea of the game's total user-base and diverse playing platforms, lowly-skilled migration coders tasked with mechanical function-for-function migration and no concept of playability, testers (if there actually were any) who had never played the game before, etc, etc..... and all of the "roles" may have been performed by just the one kid doing work-experience and trying their best with minimal or no guidance!

The player base are waiting to see if there is a rabbit or even a hat as BB stumble from one "unexpected" disaster to the next "unexpected" disaster.

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by PharTing View Post
    Well, it IS a free game and only pays its way when players feel enthused to spend real money on gems.

I'd suggest the last 2 attempts of 100% bonus "happy (24) hours" (at least) have generated few if any sales, so the bean counters buried in the deepest bowels of Ubisoft may have indicated to senior management that the poor sales figures is "proof that this is no longer any interest in this game"!!!!

EVERY step that Ubisoft/BB have taken since the announcement by Adobe of Flash being retired would seem to prove that they intended to retire TSO at the same time. Based on the timings of everything to do with Settlers Alliance (starting, being announced, pre-orders, first closed testing, pre-order refunds and silence since pulling the whole project), it more logically seems that Ubisoft/BB intended to offer TSO players a sweetener deal to migrate to Alliance, but when Alliance went belly-up, they had to figure out what to do with TSO instead.

What we have seen since is evidence of poor last-minute planning, blinkered architects and analysts with no idea of the game's total user-base and diverse playing platforms, lowly-skilled migration coders tasked with mechanical function-for-function migration and no concept of playability, testers (if there actually were any) who had never played the game before, etc, etc..... and all of the "roles" may have been performed by just the one kid doing work-experience and trying their best with minimal or no guidance!

The player base are waiting to see if there is a rabbit or even a hat as BB stumble from one "unexpected" disaster to the next "unexpected" disaster.
    Pretty much my view on things as well. The annoying thing is the short term answer is to revert back to the client ( officially). The player base has once again proved it is indeed possible despite BB claims to the contrary, it is staring them right in the face. For them not to do so, says what those `behind the scenes discussions' are really about, and it involves more about saving face than saving the game. In typical BB fashion though they have even managed to screw this up.
    About the only thing that could save their reputation would be a TSO II that took all the great aspects of TSO ( Minus PVPoo disaster ) adding in evolution rather than xp grind and that works straight out of the box ..... But wait did I not say that several years ago? ( I thought Alliance was a step in that direction, I guess BB could not allow a good decision to ruin a habit of a lifetime lol )
    Are we to be told of adventure changes or not? 1 Month on and still SNEAKY RB changes have not been mentioned

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Larili View Post
    Pretty much my view on things as well. The annoying thing is the short term answer is to revert back to the client ( officially). The player base has once again proved it is indeed possible despite BB claims to the contrary, it is staring them right in the face. For them not to do so, says what those `behind the scenes discussions' are really about, and it involves more about saving face than saving the game. In typical BB fashion though they have even managed to screw this up.
    About the only thing that could save their reputation would be a TSO II that took all the great aspects of TSO ( Minus PVPoo disaster ) adding in evolution rather than xp grind and that works straight out of the box ..... But wait did I not say that several years ago? ( I thought Alliance was a step in that direction, I guess BB could not allow a good decision to ruin a habit of a lifetime lol )
    Maybe time for BB to close down the game for 6months or so in order to see if they can rescue the game longer term, or as suggested above move to a freshly written TSO2 where we all start over from level 1 again but at least can play on a stable game - though that will still need to be a fresh write as we all started from level 1 on test2 and that was the same mess. Basically I suspect Unity itself is not up to the task of supporting the game.

Nifty
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by lordloocan View Post
    ... I suspect Unity itself is not up to the task of supporting the game.
    Interestingly, I am currently enrolling in a uni course here and I note that it seems Unity is the platform used in their 3D modelling and game design classes. So, it might seem that Unity is capable, but resultant games are still heavily reliant on the talents of the designers and coders that layer things into it.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by PharTing View Post
    Interestingly, I am currently enrolling in a uni course here and I note that it seems Unity is the platform used in their 3D modelling and game design classes. So, it might seem that Unity is capable, but resultant games are still heavily reliant on the talents of the designers and coders that layer things into it.
    Out of interest I started a new account on a German server. All this about server load due to the contents of our stars, mailbox contents etc etc etc is total rubbish. The systems in place even find loading the mayor, my one pine cutter and clouds beyond it's capacity - takes just as long as my main world. So cut the nonsense BB and get the game sorted or close it down.

And to be considering an event is stupid when you have locked out a lot of players who will not be able to participate. Surely you would be better using the programming time sorting the current mess?

Reply to Thread