Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question for players who use Unity.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Sandycove
    Unity isn't that bad if you have a decent machine. There was progress in the first month. The big fix they did in the first month was the click-through.. can't think of the word for it. The one where you clicked with your mouse on a dialog and then something underneath got the focus, when it shouldn't have. That was fixed pretty quickly, definitely in the first month.

There are a few drawbacks.

1) If you are on a hi res monitor (I'm 3456 x 2160 on a 15" display) everything is too small even at max UI scaling. Also at max UI scaling (200%) some features are unavailable (e.g. "trade" menu option when clicking on friend in friends list).
    2) Gen context switches. Gens who lose focus during battles can't be retreated. Gen context switches when another gen gets focus, which makes sending the correct gen difficult. What that means is, things like, you have to wait for everyone to finish moving before you send another wave.
    3) There are UI issues where buffs/gens appear greyed out in star but can still be used.
    4) Gens/buffs occasionally will show the incorrect icon in star. I'm sure I don't have 4200 General Tremble Beards that mouseover reads, Gift basket.
    5) UI issues with buildings showing upgradeable when they are not
    6) Deposit icons/text missing until you mouseover them.
    7) Don't even try to look at production values for a particular building. Crazy numbers.
    8) Many string interpolation bugs.
    9) Performance lags the flash client.

That's the worst of it.. don't seem to have much of a problem other than those big ones. In short, it's definitely playable, but not quite as much fun.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    I have a high end machine and don't consider it playable so it depends on your definitions and levels of acceptance. \

Stuff doesn;t always load completely or takes forever to load and compared to the previous client this is around 25% of the quality/playability level of the client

If you have an older machine or the "wrong" setup running it is at like 5%

There have been improvements and BB has been quick to point em out but in all reality:: This should never have been released in the first place- it is an epic fail which they are not willing to explain and seem to hope it goes away while pointing out the "successes" in improving this complete garbage which is now improved to a level of a complete mess. Hopefully before next event it gets improved to the level of it is a mess but we working on it

And yes - lets not forget 1/3 of the game is broken/dead in Unity as the PVP modus doesn't work with no eta on it (BTW for all of u who wonder: it still works in the old client- which shows it is a unity programming/migration issue and not a backoffice server issue)

Raving Rabbid
    World
    Sandycove
    I think the island loading time is moot - there is a very long island loading time using Unity, but I have the same long loading times using the client - it's just hidden behind an unresponsive loading screen.

The Unity version definitely seems to work better in Internet Explorer. I'm a mac user and I've been using Parallels (windows emulator) since the move to the official client - even in emulation the island scrolling is fast and smooth. The most irritating aspects of the unity version are 1) a considerable delay between each mouse click which slows game play down massively and 2) the constant zone refreshes which remove the focus on what you're doing (i.e. buffing, typing in chat, selecting buildings or generals etc.. pretty much all the key elements of gameplay) you end up doing things several times over. Unity version is 'almost' playable but not quite.

I found a total clearance of emails made a difference in the early versions of Unity - I suspect a cull of 'dead' accounts in the friendlist might help too
    HOTFIX!

Forum Explorer
    World
    Sandycove
    Thanks to all who reacted.
    It is as i feared not yet the time to come back.
    Glad to hear BB is still working on improvements, sad to hear the improvement dont make a big difference.
    I will keep checking, and i might be back in the future with the same question, to see how the situation then is.
    The reactions where helpfull for me, and i hope also for all those others waiting till the game is playable again, before they will come back.

Greetings all from DD.
    Life isnt about finding yourself, Life is about creating yourself!

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    I find that it has got slightly better compared to when we got switched to unity. But it is still slow, with frequent freezes. It certainly takes a very, very long time to load. And frequently the screen updates are slow and blocky.

I have a decent machine and connection speed, but I still get that click-through regularly, where I click something but something underneath the dialogue box gets the focus. That's how I lost a bronze-producing mine that I'd snoozed to preserve it.
    Plus if I click on a building or something, it will often bring up the dialogue box for another thing that my mouse had passed over several seconds ago on the other side of my island.

And I still get the incorrect icon in the star menu.
    Plus I also frequently get the wrong information when I hover over something in the star menu - for example, if I hover over an adventure, it will tell me it's a buff or something else in the menu that the mouse had passed over earlier.

I can access the quest menu after the island has all loaded. But then later on when it says I have a new quest, it's completely unresponsive - despite the arrow insisting I should click quests, but annoyingly failing to respond when I do!

Everything is still slow, and it often still takes several clicks to actually do anything like sending an explorer out.

Oh, and trade seems to be weird.

I risked doing a few adventures during the last event (simple ones, and single-person ones because I have nobody to play the co-op ones with). These started off being frustrating and tedious, with me having to switch back and forth between the adventure and my home island to get results of attacks, but it's a bit better now.
    Last edited by Alina_Light; 30.09.21 at 10:09.

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by lordloocan View Post
    I have been on test server since both these updates and can report that the game there is still as messed up as on live servers. Whatever they claim to have 'fixed' is merely tinkering with the edges doing nothing about actual loading times, constant zone refreshing, being able to confidently play adventures, being able to sensibly send out explorers and geologists. Is becoming a joke, just isn't funny.
    I could not even log on to test, loading stopped with a zone error.

That there is no improvement despite BB saying numerous fixes have been done is dissapointing but expected. That is the same bullshit they have been giving us since the first Unity test.

Maybe I just should give up now.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    The giant softwaregame of chicken

Once enough have left, they can always say market circumstances forced em into terminating the franshise. Ofc the market circumstances are totally dictated by their decisions re unity and the doodoo show they made of that implementation

Nifty
    World
    Newfoundland
    I'm playing on Unity. I have a reasonably good machine and a fast internet connection. The old client was good for me (better than the previous online flash actually), but I haven't felt an overwhelming need to go back to it since the move to Unity.

The game is playable for me, but of course could be better. Loading is a bit slow, but I can live with it- maybe a couple of minutes until everything has appeared and settled down. I do get Zone refreshes but not so many that it really makes it unplayable.

The biggest annoyance is of course the generals shifting focus every time one of them builds or comes home. I've learned to kind of live with it and I am doing Advs, but I've paid a price in lost MM along the way.

Other irritations include (in no particular order):-
    Can't scroll out far enough when moving/attacking over a long distance
    Most production buildings no longer show a time to finish current production, so tricky to buff just before completion (eg Token Mint and Bookbinder tribute)
    Sometimes an Adv will go into a state where battles never finish - have to go home and back to clear them, or log out and back in to stop it happening for a while
    No green lights on players for online status
    No trade tab while on Adv islands
    Quest book is jumpy and at times very lagged
    Explorers and geos... need pauses between clicks to ensure they have registered
    Having to scroll to collect every reward in emails - this would be easy to solve by removing the pointless three lines of text above the reward icons. The first line is just a repeat of the subject line above it and the other two don't say anything actually useful (like which explorer brought it for example - would like to have that available BELOW the reward icons)
    Newly found deposits of resources, Iron, coal, gold etc not visible
    Excelsior sometimes displays a map fragment icon instead of the venture it is supposed to be showing - always happens with One Step Ahead or Lost City. You do get the venture but you have to check in Adv window to see which one it was.
    I'm sure there are others.... these are just what I thought of while writing

Having said all - I am still enjoying the game after many years of playing and I do hope it continues, even if fixes for these things do take time.
    Last edited by SkinFlynt; 16.10.21 at 10:06. Reason: tidy up formaating

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    one of the issues is the way unity decides to process stuff on island-

so the more stuff u have in prov house, oil mills, harbour, adventure bookmaker, trees etc, the more the game struggles. I have a lot of all of em, and a lot are running production.

Not running em would impact game (like not making arrows etc) so that kinda limits options

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    hi is it possible to return to old client , as a constant daily player for over 8 years this is the closest i have come to leaving completely unable to cope with constant freezing and zone refreshing and cant play adventures at all because of lagging

Reply to Thread