Reply to Thread

Thread: Minimum system requirements to play on Unity?

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove

Minimum system requirements to play on Unity?

Ok this might be a really dumb question... but I have been playing TSO since 2014 I think, on my ancient ACER i3 laptop. I know that Unity has its problems universally, but I can't help but wonder if it's my old slow laptop that might be part of the problem. I'm getting a new one soon - thinking about upgrading to a 'gaming' PC.. but only if it's actually worth it.
    What are the minimum system requirements to play?
    Does anyone out there have a super duper fast gaming computer and still cannot play on Unity because it's so unbearably slow/broken?
    Thanks in advance for any info :-)

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    The unity version for me takes about 5 minutes to fully load, the scrolling around the island is smooth for maybe 10 minutes but it runs slower and slower over time, after 30 minutes it becomes a choppy mess. My island is full which likely slows the loading time a bit.

My specs:
    AMD 5950x (16 core CPU, but the single core performance should be overkill for settlers online)
    64GB RAM
    AMD 6800 XT Graphics card
    OS is running from a 2TB pcie gen 4 nvme ssd
    160mb internet connection
    1440p 144hz
    vivaldi/chrome/edge/firefox

I am not trying to show off with these specs. There are no possible bottlenecks to slow the unity client down, but it still runs poorly regardless. I would not expect it to run any better unless you are upgrading from something which is 15+ years old.
    Last edited by Kotugo; 05.12.21 at 22:19.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Sandycove
    Runs fine for me on
    Intel i7-11800H (8 core) 2.3 GHz
    16 GB ram
    so-so gfx card (NVIDIA GeForce rtx 3050)
    Win 10 on SSD
    Crappy 5GHz wifi with at least 4 people on every channel (lots of neighbours), lucky to get 100mbps down

My specs are worse than Kotugo's, but somehow it runs fine for me. (Nowhere near 5 minutes to load. One minute, tops.)

The thing that's difficult is I have a 4k screen which the game really can't handle. Several UI issues.
    Last edited by Fuseboy; 05.12.21 at 19:40.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    Brought myself a Lenovo Yoga slim 7, the Ryzen 5 4500U model with 8gb ram 256gb SSD, just over a week ago. Island loads in about 1min, so far the only time ive seen any sign of slowdown was when i was also on the test server at the same time running Mountain Labyrinth.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    breakdown of my loading experience:

3s brown loading bar
    29s graphics loading bar
    55s green island appears
    1m 19s zone borders appear
    1m 55s buildings start to load
    3m 5s finished loading

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    perhaps connection speeds also influence performance

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland
    You can find the requirements here.

Please note - some issues like long loading times, "poor" performance/lags are more on "our" than on "your" side - as long as you meet the requirements. We are working on newer servers and game/code optimizations.

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    @Siobhan, Unity seems to hate certain machines without any logical reason, if you read back on the Ubi forums the complaints re: Might and Magic X Legacy from2014, it would overload the GFX card on a high spec rig, yet play nicely on a lower one, and no amount of fiddling with detail settings ever changed this.

I played it with little trouble on an Intel 8 series processor (about the same as an early i3), but it struggled on an 8 core 4.6Ghz AMD Sledgehammer, and it sent my i7 Alienware gaming rig berserk, overheating the GFX card in seconds.
    That comp died a month ago, playing TSO was the only other thing that ever spun the fans up, and it struggled hard with it, yet it could play FPS games at full speed and full detail without breaking sweat, I suspect Unity hastened its demise.

Also, it almost seems as if our home computers are taking on the role of "server", with static images coming from the U.S.A, the game data coming from "local servers", and somehow the chat appears to be routed via Poland , so no wonder the game is always out of sync with servers and constantly refreshing/time-warping.
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Trafffer View Post
    You can find the requirements here.

Please note - some issues like long loading times, "poor" performance/lags are more on "our" than on "your" side - as long as you meet the requirements. We are working on newer servers and game/code optimizations.
    Thanks very much Trafffer :-)

Thanks to all of you for the replies. Certainly interesting..
    Last edited by BB_Trafffer; 13.12.21 at 14:38. Reason: double post

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    oh wow, a thread i must have missed ... :P

Reply to Thread