Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Possible to attack with less than 20% losses?

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove
    "You dont, you just have to choose right units" - I meant in one go with minimal "number" losses (vs "value loss" - and obviously value loss matters more if you're just treating it as a game, but not so much if you're actually thinking of your settlers as real people!). According to the combat sim to win against Wild Mary and her hounds not even 200 mounted marksman will help, but 200 besiegers will - at an eyewatering value loss (over 20 times anything I've ever experienced so far). But is it even possible to get up to the level you could own 200 besiegers without conquering your whole island?

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Well, usually in a case like that, the best tactic is to use 1 or 2 sacrificial attacks to clear out a lot of the other troops in the camp and send in the big guns against the depleted camp, protected by the "tanking" troops

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Usermaatre View Post
    "You dont, you just have to choose right units" - I meant in one go with minimal "number" losses (vs "value loss" - and obviously value loss matters more if you're just treating it as a game, but not so much if you're actually thinking of your settlers as real people!). According to the combat sim to win against Wild Mary and her hounds not even 200 mounted marksman will help, but 200 besiegers will - at an eyewatering value loss (over 20 times anything I've ever experienced so far). But is it even possible to get up to the level you could own 200 besiegers without conquering your whole island?
    It is not about wild mary herself, it is the hounds that cause the issue. To clear each hound uses 1 cavalry, that is why you suicide 199 cavalry before killing her.

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove
    You can clear hounds using recruits normally though, so I assume wild mary has some other effect on recruits such that they become useless...either way you can't do it in a single go.

World
    Newfoundland
    You can clear hounds using recruits normally though, so I assume wild mary has some other effect on recruits such that they become useless...either way you can't do it in a single go.
    Every unit in game has a set priority upon which its attacked.
    Bosses usually have it higher than normal units, meaning that regular units wont even touch enemy units until the boss is dead.

What is a problem with that fight is that normally youd just use some frontline units and alot of backline with high damage (like crossbows) to do huge damage to the boss, but hounds are attacking weakest units, meaning they would decimate any number of bowmen/ crossbowmen you have, and do it before they could even attack.

So the right approach here (and the lesson you should learn from that fight) is that you look for what earlier I referred to as can opener, which is a suicide attack of cavalry to kill the weakest (in this case hounds), leaving the boss alone, to be later defeated by a combination of melee and high damage ranged units.

This is literally the first case you would encounter where you have to lose the mentality of not losing your units, because in almost every adventure youll see later youd find camps where its almost necessary to eliminate part of the threat to simplify the fight, rather than headbutt the camp with the most expensive army you can produce.

And the reason I mentioned army value previously is that this game is severly imbalanced when it comes to cost of resources and time to produce units vs the actual unit strength (which you wont see until you actually understand the combat system) which makes 'better' units not actually better in plenty of situations, when they still remain 10 times more expensive, take 10 times longer to produce, and you certainly dont lose 10x fewer of them to offset that.

Unfortunately its the game where in some cases sending 3 thousands of recruits to certain death is the most optimal strategy, and you dont gain anything from trying to work around that.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    "just offer 1 fish for whatever resources u need and put a post in trade channel. some1 will buy it" - I noticed a few offers like that, I assumed it was to complete some quest that required selling x of something (I generally ignored such quests, didn't seem worth the reward!). Then I worried it was something that was meant for someone else...but I took them up anyway! (to clarify, these were trade offers where the "cost" was 1 fish, in exchange for 100s or even 1000s of some useful resource. But yeah, I'd noticed the opposite sort too, again had assumed it was part of some private arrangement...)
    100 bronze swords or 1000 wheat or 1500 pinewood planks for 1 fish means the seller is doing a quest which rewards 50 gems.

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove
    "you dont gain anything from trying to work around that."...except for the fact you can take pride in sacrificing the fewest number of digital lives! But seriously, there are adventures where you need to send 3000+ recruits? How is that even possible within the 2 hour limit, given the number of transfers it would require (each taking 30 minutes...)?
    I'm not even that fussed about adventures just yet actually, I'm trying to work out if I can get my resource management to a point I only need to log in once a day for 30 minutes or so to keep everything running smoothly (but nowhere that yet...the inability to queue up sufficient operations is the main problem). It's a decent little game but chewing up way too much time! It's not even clear how paying real $ for gems etc. would help much (I'd pay real $ for a better client though that didn't freeze up, randomly disconnect and stop refreshing properly all the time...)

World
    Newfoundland
    "you dont gain anything from trying to work around that."...except for the fact you can take pride in sacrificing the fewest number of digital lives! But seriously, there are adventures where you need to send 3000+ recruits? How is that even possible within the 2 hour limit, given the number of transfers it would require (each taking 30 minutes...)?
    Colonies have short time limit, harder adentures usually have a time limit around 8-14 days. Also content is completely static so knowing what you'll fight you can prepare the entire army you will need before even starting the adventure, and finish the entire thing in less than 2 hours usually.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    I'm not even that fussed about adventures just yet actually, I'm trying to work out if I can get my resource management to a point I only need to log in once a day for 30 minutes or so to keep everything running smoothly (but nowhere that yet...the inability to queue up sufficient operations is the main problem). It's a decent little game but chewing up way too much time! It's not even clear how paying real $ for gems etc. would help much (I'd pay real $ for a better client though that didn't freeze up, randomly disconnect and stop refreshing properly all the time...)
    Only generals from the tavern need 30 minutes, a majority of generals from the merchant (event tab) only need 15 minutes or less, You can buy some outside of events but they will cost gems then, not event currency. The bighearted general from the valentines event which starts Monday holds 2000 troops and can be skilled up to hold 3000, this general is just a transport general unable to fight. The event also has the Observatory building which as supplied reduces travel time to adventures for your generals by 25%, you can also obtain 50% and 75% recipes for this building.

There are many different generals in game from either the event tab or black market tab of merchant, all are better than the generals from the tavern in one way or another particularly when skilled up the right way to suit your playstyle. Once you have built up your stable of generals you will be able to tackle some adventures with troop gains not losses or run other adventures in 10 minutes.

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove
    Ah ok, thanks, sounds all too complicated TBH!

Reply to Thread