Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: upgrade penalty

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland

upgrade penalty

I would like to have another penalty for upgrading. Granted for lvl 1-3 there are no problems that production stops, and lvl 4 (one day) is something you can live with, but when upgrading to lvl 5 the one week without any production is really hard to "live with", especially when it comes to guild quests etc, where it can be demanded that you produce something in production house, or if you have to make an adventure, then upgrading barracks to lvl 5 will block that quest completion fast.

I would suggest that if upgrading, then the penalty is, that the production will work as a level 1 of that type of building, or it will take e.g. 5 times as long as normal while upgrading. This will make it possible to make guild and day quests.

/KarstenL

Forum Explorer
    World
    Sandycove
    Yes, the one-week production stoppage painful. But, at that level of investment you should have a little economic foresight. So stockpile enough products, perhaps fill up fully the storehouse, or collect enough coins to buy with, in the one week period. And after, maybe with heavy heart, but you can live with it...

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Brankovics View Post
    Yes, the one-week production stoppage painful. But, at that level of investment you should have a little economic foresight. So stockpile enough products, perhaps fill up fully the storehouse, or collect enough coins to buy with, in the one week period. And after, maybe with heavy heart, but you can live with it...
    That's fair and true when it comes to using musk or fish food on depots, or donating stuff, but many guild quests specifically demands that you complete an adventure, or produce e.g. 5 settlers families. These quests cannot be done when upgrading production house or barracks (if more than one adventure on a week is to be done, which happens at higher level). That will put the guild in a spot, and it is annoying that it is impossible to complete a quest. Hence: If you got a severe penalty while upgrading, but not a production stop, it would be more fair.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Sandycove
    As you mentioned, this is problem only for barrack or prov house. So can get suck only one + one week --- if you get such guild quests just that time...

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by KarstenL View Post
    I would like to have another penalty for upgrading. Granted for lvl 1-3 there are no problems that production stops, and lvl 4 (one day) is something you can live with, but when upgrading to lvl 5 the one week without any production is really hard to "live with", especially when it comes to guild quests etc, where it can be demanded that you produce something in production house, or if you have to make an adventure, then upgrading barracks to lvl 5 will block that quest completion fast.

I would suggest that if upgrading, then the penalty is, that the production will work as a level 1 of that type of building, or it will take e.g. 5 times as long as normal while upgrading. This will make it possible to make guild and day quests.

/KarstenL
    nice thought.. but to be honest, if you upgrading your PH or Barracks or other building causes your guild not to complete a guild quest in a good speed of time, it is time to change guilds. # of members to complete GQ are based on # of active members and if they can't handle one player not completing it.. it is time for the active players in a guild to become active guild members

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Matata View Post
    nice thought.. but to be honest, if you upgrading your PH or Barracks or other building causes your guild not to complete a guild quest in a good speed of time, it is time to change guilds. # of members to complete GQ are based on # of active members and if they can't handle one player not completing it.. it is time for the active players in a guild to become active guild members
    Heh not happening in my guild, but I'm kind of compulsive about completing the quests myself, so it annoys me not to be able to do that ... but then, I have only been playing for a year ;o)

On another note: When the island is running, it get's kind of boring just setting up fields and wells, so a quick adventure now and then is nescessary. If I deciede to upgrade barracks to lvl 5, I'll have to be totally bored for a week (the troops accumulated will run out after one adventure), and I can't even just stay out for a week since all is set on hold after a day or two ... that's the primary reason for the suggestion, and that I haven't upgraded my barrack to level 5 even though I wanted to )

Quartermaster
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by KarstenL View Post
    That's fair and true when it comes to using musk or fish food on depots, or donating stuff, but many guild quests specifically demands that you complete an adventure, or produce e.g. 5 settlers families. These quests cannot be done when upgrading production house or barracks (if more than one adventure on a week is to be done, which happens at higher level). That will put the guild in a spot, and it is annoying that it is impossible to complete a quest. Hence: If you got a severe penalty while upgrading, but not a production stop, it would be more fair.
    Like others have said by the time you are ready to upgrade something like the provision house or barracks to level 5 you should be savvy enough to know that you will need to have a good set of resources in reserve.

As for adventure based guild quests any good guild leader would understand that you may not be able to complete them, but if you max population and build a good army you should be able to do a few of the easier adventures like Dark Priests or Witch Of The Swamp. When I took my barracks to level 5 I managed to complete 4 or 5 easy adventures before I ran out of troops and my pop limit isnt really that high at 3k.

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Not just the pop limit though, chewing through that many troops in a week with no replacements can really give a kicking to all but the most over-developed economies. Bad enough murdering 200 cav by accident, that brings down wheat and water prod all by itself.
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    I agree that it's a pain to lose production for a week, but in terms of GQ it wouldn't kill you to use gems just once (22-25 usually) to fulfil a quest while PH is out of commission. As for the adv requirements, you can spend a week doing lootspots to fulfil adventure requirements for GQ so I don't really see that as a barrier - I use lootspots to do GQ all the time if I can't play as long as I'd like etc, that's what guilds are all about!

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmian View Post
    I agree that it's a pain to lose production for a week, but in terms of GQ it wouldn't kill you to use gems just once (22-25 usually) to fulfil a quest while PH is out of commission. As for the adv requirements, you can spend a week doing lootspots to fulfil adventure requirements for GQ so I don't really see that as a barrier - I use lootspots to do GQ all the time if I can't play as long as I'd like etc, that's what guilds are all about!
    yeah .. but that boring ... Adventures are what's keeping me coming back to settlers. Replacing fields, wells mines etc is plain boring when you reach a certain level..

Reply to Thread