Reply to Thread

Thread: [Tool] What's your MPB?

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland

[Tool] What's your Most Profitable Building?

Alright, made this little calculator initially for myself as I really like the trading game in Settlers Online. It's purpose was to identify which buildings gave me the most profit in terms of gold coins when its goods was sold on the TT. This way I could put my excess building licences to good use by building the Most Profitable Buildings! The results was really an eye-opener to me as to how bad the highlevel buildings actually are in terms of profit. Yes, Supply and Demand dictates the marketprice, but looking at the cost of buildings and input materials, the market is way off at the moment for some buildings. Maybe this tool can help stabilize the economy by pointing at prices goods should actually be at? I doubt it, but I still like the thought

The calculations are made by assuming the best production time possible in seconds. That is, shortest travel time to warehouse/workyard. It uses the marketprice of the input goods and determines the daily output according to production cycles and buffs used. It then multiplies the output goods with the marketprice The result is GPD (Gold Production per Day) in 3 different versions. Unbuffed, Buffed 50% of the time and Buffed 100%

Have a look at the spreadsheet which is locked in it's web version, but you can change the marketprices to your likings when downloaded. It's made in OpenOffice Calc, so it could look weird when opened in Excel and what not. I'll update the prices occasionally in the locked webversion, but you should really download the editable version and try to change prices to reflect better results for you.
    Note that I'm no expert in spreadsheets or hosting them, but this is a good exercise for me to do so. It's very unpolished, but I'll try to shine and tidy it for a more pleasant view in the future. Calculations may be wrong somewhere, so please let me know if something seems terribly wrong. I've hidden the formulas for the public, and locked the sheet (atleast i think i did, else let me know asap). Suggestions for improvements VERY welcome!

MBP Beta v2

Plans for the future:
    • Add a thorugh userguide!
    • Make marketvalues editable in webversion (if possible)
    • Profit per Buff (it's in the hidden columns actually, but needs some tweaking)
    • Time to Profit (how long until your building upgrade pays itself off)
    • Automatically set default marketprices
    • Cooler interface
    • Suggestions?

Like this tool? A thank you here, in whisper or mail much appreciated. Donations even moreso (noblets, parrots or flowerbeds always welcome ^^)
    Last edited by sschnor; 13.03.12 at 11:37.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    awesome

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    Yet another economic model.

Altough scientifically data can predict some of the things happening in real life,
    a model always fails on actual behaviour of people on micro-scale.
    Whenever you are stuck in an adventure and need some kind of weapon in your adventure,
    the value of this kind of weapon increases by the minute for this player.
    Ofcourse he wants to finish his map in the given time to obtain his loot.
    Furthermore some goods are end-products, others are semi-manufacture.
    Semifinished products are often consumed by the same player theirselves,
    thus the availabilty of the supply could be influencing the supply and demand marketvalues.

Another observation is you can't expect all buildings to be on the best spot in relation to the storehouse.
    This would require to many storehouses, which are inproductive theirselves.

Still the rough data are nicely organised, and possibly it may help players to make some wise decissions.
    Last edited by Grow; 15.03.12 at 04:33.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    another factor is definately that e.g. i dont mind giving up e.g. wheat, if i generally have a slight overproduction of this material, or if i can see that population is plentiful and therefore bread is not that important in the near future... (same point as above i guess) ... having the model in the back of your mind is always helpful i believe ... nice effort

World
    Northisle
    Shouldn't this be in the Newfoundland server forum? it's in no way possible to apply it to other servers economical climate.
    We can't solve problems using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. / Albert Einstein
    I refuse to lower my standards, to accommodate those who refuse to raise theirs. / Steve Gemlin

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrooge View Post
    Shouldn't this be in the Newfoundland server forum? it's in no way possible to apply it to other servers economical climate.
    Because I didn't encourage people to download a copy and change marketprices to their own values, yeah?

Reply to Thread