Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making steel swords vs. buying them.

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland

Making steel swords vs. buying them.

I wanted to clear my island before starting my actual weapon production, so I have bought all the weapons until now.

But now that I am halfway in setting up my productionlines, I am seeing what a costly bussiness it is.

So costly, that buying them is way cheaper than actually making them myself.

----

"They" are selling 400 steel swords for 200 coins.

To make 400 steel swords, you need;

6.400 iron ore

20.800 coal

6 days and 16 hours (lvl1 factory)

------

If I where to buy these materials as they are, I would pay much, much more;

These amounts of iron ore and coal can be bought for (and I am lowballing it here) as little as;

Iron ore 20 coins per 400 stack = 320 coins

Coal 6 coins per 400 stack = 312 coins

Not taking into account the production time here, or the effort for which you normally have to pay.

----------

So the point I am trying to make is; how on earth can these people sell those swords for so little money; when the production costs are so much higher??

Am I missing something here, or seeing something wrong?

World
    Newfoundland
    Production costs are not based on retail prices. It costs a LOT less to mine your own coal and iron ore.
    If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving is not for you.

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    Okay - I make my own ore, and my own coal.

I am going to sell it all inside a day instead of using it for production in 6 days.

I will use that money to buy 1200 swords.

You see what I am trying to say here?

World
    Newfoundland
    ... and where will the Steel swords come from if everyone followed your example?

The current prices of Steel Swords reflects the supply and demand of the market.
    If nobody made them, they'd be a lot more expensive.
    If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving is not for you.

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    If everyone read this, realised I had a point, and started to do the same, no doubt prices would rise, and bring them to a level where you have to start questioning again whether or not it is viable to start production up yourself again.

Right now it isnt, imho...

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBaldrick View Post
    So the point I am trying to make is; how on earth can these people sell those swords for so little money; when the production costs are so much higher??

Am I missing something here, or seeing something wrong?
    I have steel swords and only time i use them is when i loose 185soldiers on VtV thats 1850swords, i dont produce any steelswords nor do i buy them, u get them as loot, and if u dont need them its tempting to sell them for 180c because 180c is a lot more usefull than a stack of ss.

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Nylund View Post
    I have steel swords and only time i use them is when i loose 185soldiers on VtV thats 1850swords, i dont produce any steelswords nor do i buy them, u get them as loot, and if u dont need them its tempting to sell them for 180c because 180c is a lot more usefull than a stack of ss.
    I knew something was going on here - thanks for clearing that up for me..:-)

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Have you taken buffing into account at all?

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    it all doesnt matter much. You are still better off selling the coal and ore on the market and buy the SS on the whole. Use buffs on these will also increase yield and so gold coin on these. The whole issue with high(er) end weapons is simple- You mainly aim to lose recruits, then bow, then militia- trow in some cav if really needed.

So soldiers are pretty much last in line except some higher end adventures where you use em to ensure 1 wave of fights instead of 2 waves (esp when blocking)

Steel swords drop in many adventures as rewards- so economy wise: many SS in storehouses, few used compared to stocks and many people needing gold coin. Coin beats swords in storehouse so you sell swords cheaper than production cost- which you didnt pay in the first place. Many others think the same so demand is lower than supply and presto, prices drop way way below production cost.

It gets worse for xbows, damascene and cannon

Architect of the Empire Sinister-King's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Anyone got a list of all the resources needed to make swords, cavalry cannons etc.

Reply to Thread