So the new feature went to live realms. It's nice to get new feature, but it would be nicer if it was more useful. I'm going to assume that the economy overview tool's main purpose is to help people balance their consumption vs production. If not, forget all the following and use it for whatever it might be useful for.

Immediate problems:
1) Full storage. If you hit full storage on anything, your production is halted automatically. This reflects to economy overview numbers, usually dropping the production value for that item to negative. Which is easy to interpret as a sign that you should build more. Sure, you can spot that your storage amount says max and ignore whatever the economy overview tool says, assuming it's wrong anyway.
2) Full forests. Same as above, if your forests are currently planted to the max, foresters stop. Looking at economy overview, you might think you're losing trees and start building more foresters.
3) Empty storage. Let's say you run out of pinewood. As a result, your coking plants stop. Now economy overview says you're lacking coal production, while your pinewood production is excellent thanks to all coking plants being stopped. A whole load of bad information that may lead you to do exactly wrong thing.

Those three are obvious problems caused by the fact that economy overview shows you the current production. I know it's new feature and you're not likely going to re-do it all over, but since I started complaining, I'll make this a constructive post and tell how the economy overview could work and be actually useful for balancing your production. Or how you could make an advanced version of it for the advanced players who can figure out more complex set of numbers to get the benefit of much better accuracy.

Advanced Economy Overview:
1) Instead of showing current production, show production potential. Ignore the fact that some buildings are temporarily stopped, show the production figures as if they weren't. If some consumed material has run out, put a big exclamation mark next to it on economy overview to point out that there are buildings waiting for it. This would get rid of all the issues with full/empty storages mentioned above.

2) Include indirect consumption. Every weapon made or horse raised has an effect on how much brew you need to actually train all those units. Every fish you catch has indirect consumption of bread through fish food. Every piece of meat you hunt for has indirect consumption of water and fish. Finally, every weapon made has indirect consumption of bread: if you produce enough weapons to train 500 military units per day, you're going to need enough bread to get 404 settlers.

3) Include rebuild consumption. Every well you build can be expected to be rebuilt. The time it takes to empty the well is known (unless you max out storage), so the average amount of construction materials needed per 12 hours is known. Same applies to every wheat field, although there you have to consider the effect of silos. Mines are bit trickier since some cheeky people go and refill theirs, but you could track that and just not count rebuild cost for any mine that has been refilled. Or if storing such info is a problem, assume a mine will not be rebuilt if it has more ore than it should (i.e. more than 300 ore on gold deposit).

4) Moving on to trickier stuff: food buffs and buildings that are only operated under food buff. In order to balance production around food buffs and having buildings shut down for part of the day, the game would have to track how long each building has been buffed for, on average. It'd be nice statistical information to know anyway. Same goes for the data on how many hours a day is the building operated for, on average. Now once that data is in gathered, you know the actual production and consumption numbers for these buildings, on average. And now you can finally fully balance your economy.

Sounds complex? Maybe so. It took me one afternoon to make excel sheet that does all that. Since I buff same buildings every day, I can do all the calculations based on 9/18 hour buff/operating times on that set of buildings. So, if I can implement this whole thing in one afternoon from scratch for myself, I don't think I'm asking for miracles here. Sure, it takes bit longer than an afternoon to match the data with pretty UI, but not that much more. Especially since the basic tool is there already.