Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High CPU and memory usage

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove

High CPU and memory usage

I'm sure many people saw this already and I apologize if it has been put up somewhere already, but it looks like the CPU and memory usage by the game is going up with every update. That is a big problem, since browser games should base their most resources on network rather than the capabilities of each PC. I know that many of us might want to have the game look and function even better, but with the continuous stressing of our CPUs it may put off some of the players.

That is why I suggest implementing an option to turn off animations on some or even all buildings, turning off the animals that walk on the islands and turning off some of the icons that appear over buildings. Turning off water animation and glitter on it. I assume smoke is a part of the building animation, so that is not an option. Settlers animation also shouldn't be possible to turn off.

If all goes well, it should allow the game to be much less taxing for the computer, allowing players to do some other stuff while waiting for the wheat fields to be completed. Maybe it will even allow to reduce the minimal requirements for the PC to run the game, enlarging even more the playerbase.

If not that, then please reduce the CPU and memory usage by other means, it is ridiculous at times, even on powerful PCs.

World
    Sandycove
    +1

World
    Newfoundland
    Unfortunately, that is the biggest drawback of any Flash based game.
    If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving is not for you.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    +1 Yes we care about gameplay not pixels!

I already sence increased stress on my CPU..

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by DieterG View Post
    I'm sure many people saw this already and I apologize if it has been put up somewhere already, but it looks like the CPU and memory usage by the game is going up with every update. That is a big problem, since browser games should base their most resources on network rather than the capabilities of each PC. I know that many of us might want to have the game look and function even better, but with the continuous stressing of our CPUs it may put off some of the players.

That is why I suggest implementing an option to turn off animations on some or even all buildings, turning off the animals that walk on the islands and turning off some of the icons that appear over buildings. Turning off water animation and glitter on it. I assume smoke is a part of the building animation, so that is not an option. Settlers animation also shouldn't be possible to turn off.

If all goes well, it should allow the game to be much less taxing for the computer, allowing players to do some other stuff while waiting for the wheat fields to be completed. Maybe it will even allow to reduce the minimal requirements for the PC to run the game, enlarging even more the playerbase.

If not that, then please reduce the CPU and memory usage by other means, it is ridiculous at times, even on powerful PCs.
    bump?
    Some they learn, some thy burn...

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    If you have a multi-core cpu you can set windows to only use one core for the browser running TSO, you can also change the cpu power management to run slower if you don't want to stress the cpu

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    +1
    I want to play on my Android tablet and run out of ram because of animations.

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    +1 It eats 300 Mb on ram and half cpu. Monsterus some normal games dont do that. Also bufing becoms realy lagy like that.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    I'm sorry guys but what is wrong with you learning how to configure your pc's for best performance for your needs. Game developers can not design a game which will have good performance on every last system which may get used to play a game. Recently the PC I was using got sent to silicon heaven thanks to the wife. For a few weeks I was forced to playing on a ex-business 15 year old Dell. 1.8ghz celron, 256 meg PC166 memory, ISA graphics slot. Yes it was a bit on the slow side but I was able to keep playing the game. The only reason for that is I have learnt how to configure my PC for best performance for my needs. Go ahead try it, you may find your self having a more enjoyable gaming experience.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    1.8ghz celeron, 256 meg PC166 memory, ISA graphics slot.
    Luxury.. bloomin' luxury!
    I still have a GeForce 2

Reply to Thread