Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Four Winds Quest

Keen Commentor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelob81 View Post
    And the luck aspect isn't new to the game as some are suggesting.
    You are right - every single reward drop is about luck. However, never before has a quest been dependent on a specific thing being acquired from a specific adventure reward drop. (Plus don't forget this is compounded by the 2 week time limit so that a limitless number of adventures cannot be done.) The luck aspect IS new to completing quests - and it's a bad idea.

Also, don't forget that not everyone will have checked the forums and seen the full list of quests ahead of them. Think how those people will/do feel when they've already committed a lot of time and resources to the quest and only then find out that it's random as to whether they will be able to succeed. In your example the player knows at the start what they are letting themselves in for, but with Four Winds it is highly likely (particularly at the start of the event) that they had no idea of this and therefore will feel frustrated and a little cheated that they spent time and resources on it.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelob81 View Post
    It might be just my simple view on the matter, but I don't think BB made the quest so every player would be rewarded greatly. It's a challenge you can have a crack on and stop if it looks like it isn't worth it. And the luck aspect isn't new to the game as some are suggesting.
    Who's suggesting that?

Regarding your SE example, you're citing broken game design to justify bad game design. If you look at the way quest rewards are done, it's clear that titanium, saltpeter, crossbows and damascene swords are supposed to be very valuable. Look at how quests that pay out titanium or saltpetre pay out way less than ones yielding granite, and how if you get crossbows or saltpetre as a reward for logging in many days in a row, you'll get tiny amounts compared to what you'd get in gc or granite.

Every experienced player has pondered this dillemma at some point. Unfortunately, BB miscalculated when they created the adventure system. Since recruits are so cheap, and really not that much weaker than their more expensive counterparts, we use them for everything. This means that we never sacrifice anything more expensive than cavalry or soldiers, which in turn means that demand for crossbows, cannons and damascene swords is extremely low. Since we got more of them as rewards from adventures than we'll ever use, they lose all their value. Which in turn means that saltpetre and titanium are worthless resources. They're incredibly expensive chains to establish and run, and they provide you with a resource everyone already has in excess.

The upshot of this long, convoluted chain of logic is that adventures are not supposed to be gambles. The higher level adventures giving saltpetre and titanium is supposed to be a reward. Unfortunately, it's not. If the game had been designed better in this regard, that wouldn't be a gamble either. The fact that lootspots have a risk of giving you garbage is a mistake. It cannot possibly justify the bad game design of the Four Winds quest.
    EVO is recruiting.
    Players of all levels and experiences welcome. We like to teach.
    Take a look at our recruitment thread, or send me a PM if you're interested.
    Join the evolution today!

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    lv 47 four winds done. needed 6*ml loot spots and 3 SA loot spots

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    lol, i am so lucky to be in 36-45 group, with no ls possibilities and two rare adventures. yay

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    Get in! Ok I just found granite on my 5th bandits nest! I had to break the awful run and heres how, After my 4th run I decided to take a couple of LS for dark priests and it seems to have worked, call it luck or not so I suggest anyone who's trying continuous bandits nests with no joy try a diff adventure (obviously a cheap one so it dont drain even more of your resources). It may work unless u have even worse luck than me and thats saying something!

World
    Northisle
    I thought I was particularly unlucky with only wood on loot after on my 3rd try. Let's spend some more precious map fragments on useless adventure....

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Level 41 - completed all parts of it and got the mill and the gems. It's difficult, but also doable. Took me a week.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Cully View Post
    Level 41 - completed all parts of it and got the mill and the gems. It's difficult, but also doable. Took me a week.
    So how many attempts did you have on Bandit nest for the granite?.. ofc any thing is doable if you got the resourses to rebuy it all the time or if your lucky with the drop

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    On the other hand i'm happy that they added a challenging quest line with great rewards. On other hand half of the challenges depending of the randomness is not very good idea in my opinion. I imagine the frustration for those few unlucky doing their bandit nest (or equivalent) loot spot for 10th time, while some others getting away on 1st try.

And this quest line trying to make use of "junk" resources is not solution to the problem itself, but at least it makes some use for those resources.

I got few quest phases left still, but it has been some nice challenge. I hope i can make it. Level 49 here.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by MutantKid View Post
    Get in! Ok I just found granite on my 5th bandits nest! I had to break the awful run and heres how, After my 4th run I decided to take a couple of LS for dark priests and it seems to have worked, call it luck or not so I suggest anyone who's trying continuous bandits nests with no joy try a diff adventure (obviously a cheap one so it dont drain even more of your resources). It may work unless u have even worse luck than me and thats saying something!
    During the final attack I had one finger up my nostril and was standing on one leg humming the national anthem and I got granite, so you guys all know what to do.

Reply to Thread