Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] More space on your home island

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless- View Post
    Stop whining about how you need more room on your island. You don't need more room on your island, you WANT more room on your island. That's quite another matter. And you want more room on your island because you don't know how to play the game. "I need more coin, I need more bronze swords, I need more marble, I need more noble houses. I need more room on my island." No you don't.
    The goal of the game is to build the best possible economy, given the limitations (including the number of building slots on your island) of the game.
    That is the puzzle, the challenge of the game.
    What we need is a new challenge when we have succeeded in building a strong economy. The beans and fairytale adventures were fun, but how many tailors do you want to save? Also the rewards were a bit disappointing. The Major is ok, but the gold tower not so much.
    And as much fun as it is peeking through the window when the fairies are going to bed, most fairy castle are always asleep, aren't they?
    It was also good that the bowmen were re-established as cannon fodder. And no, building 2 bowmakers didn't [removed] your finely tuned economy. It forced you to adapt. And that is what this game is about.

Hello Wreckless-,

Please do not use profanity.

Sinister-King
    I love the people who sit on their high horse and give no statistics, your Island is perfectly balanced to what ? It maybe your game style is fully for-filled by doing a couple of stealing from the rich or you could possibly do a fairytale in a day, you could do nothing all week and 1 adventure at the weekend. Please consider that many people filled their islands long before all the big buildings were released and are not about to tear down level 5 buildings ( with not much in return ) just to fit this new stuff in. So in some cases people do need the extra space.

I wouldn't advocate postponing something like an event but it was on test some while ago then removed, an update giving some details on a likely implementation date or an alternative strategy might be nice.

Quartermaster
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Driller7 View Post
    This is unacceptable...We need the update asap... I too have space issues especially now with the awesome x3 storages... I was forced to demolish all my marble and stone production and spent about 4k coins in relocating stuff to make room for a few i bought...

It is a much needed update and i would rather have it before the xmas event even if that meant delay the event for 2 or more weeks...

SO AGAIN.... ANY UPDATES ON TIME PLEASE BB???
    Are you really suggesting that the christmas event should be started after christmas?

You say it is a much needed update, and for you you probably feel that it is, for me however it isn't. Who is right and who is wrong? I would rather delay island expansion and get on with Christmas event and have fun placing all the new buildings I will get

Quartermaster
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesavanah View Post
    I love the people who sit on their high horse and give no statistics, your Island is perfectly balanced to what ? It maybe your game style is fully for-filled by doing a couple of stealing from the rich or you could possibly do a fairytale in a day, you could do nothing all week and 1 adventure at the weekend. Please consider that many people filled their islands long before all the big buildings were released and are not about to tear down level 5 buildings ( with not much in return ) just to fit this new stuff in. So in some cases people do need the extra space.

I wouldn't advocate postponing something like an event but it was on test some while ago then removed, an update giving some details on a likely implementation date or an alternative strategy might be nice.
    My island is geared towards playing adventures, that means making bronze swords and bread. I have invested only a small amount of money buying gems and I have a major, 2 vets, 1 BH, 2 stronghelmet (a gift), a grimm and 4 regular generals. I have 2 gempits, one of them will run out before I can build another one. I hadn't planned that, but I didn't expect the premium and it is a better choice.

There are days when I don't play an adventure, because I don't have the time. There are days where I play 2 tailors a day, sometimes 3 days or more in a row.

But that is not the point.

The point is that you maximise the limited resources you have. So just adding building slots won't make the game more fun. On the contrary, looking for a new balance after the games has changed is a challenge. You don't want to tear down a lvl5 farm. Then don't do it. See how much bows you can buy with your extra wheat.

I wouldn't mind tearing down lvl 5 buildings. Oh, and maximising your economy is NOT the same as balancing your economy. I have to buy bread & fish. My settlers don't have time to watch the wheat grow. They are busy minting coins!

And I didn't use profanity. I swetched a litter.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless- View Post
    The point is that you maximise the limited resources you have. So just adding building slots won't make the game more fun. On the contrary, looking for a new balance after the games has changed is a challenge. You don't want to tear down a lvl5 farm. Then don't do it. See how much bows you can buy with your extra wheat.
    I have to agree with this.

It's true that while some players reached high levels early on and at that time maximized their island accordingly, the game has since introduced a ton of new content. It does indeed seem like a punishment for early advancement that you now need to tear down a part of your fully developed island to adapt better to added content. However, I find that there are a number of factors that, when taken into account, soften the blow from this punishment.

-The players who crave for more space have had a booming economy for ages. It's corny that those who already have most of everything in the game are in the forums throwing a fit that they 'need' to get more.

-Some of the packed islands I see don't really strike me as fully optimized. There can be almost a full sector for gold production, and then another for pinewood cutters and foresters. Trade a few coins you make for the coal you need instead and you'll free up an entire sector!

-Some of the content actually saves space. While the shape of a magnificent residence isn't exactly practical, the population vs footprint size exceeds even witch towers. Upcoming Christmas event gives recyclers that free you up from having pine production to back up the coal production. Friaries replaced 4 smaller buildings when introduced. Star coins will buy you premium time giving a huge boost to loot. With the extra profit you should be able to buy a lot more of the resources you need than before.

Finally I need to point one thing out. You don't NEED extra space. You WANT extra space. Once your island is packed full and well optimized, your economy most likely exceeds 99.9% of your fellow players' output. Adding a bit of extra space will simply increase that limit slightly further, which you will no doubt reach pretty quickly. You will end up in the same situation again. Does a person really NEED to be able to play TSO at maximum pace 24/7? If you reached the absolute limit you can take your economy to, instead of asking for more of the same, you might take the opportunity to spend a bit of time on life beyond TSO.
    Last edited by King-Fero; 27.11.13 at 10:13.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
    BB make an announcement about Xmas which allows you to tear down a group of buildings and replace them with 1 building, why do I see not a single word of thanks for that here.
    Maybe because this has nothing to do with this post?

World
    Sandycove
    when does this feature come ?
    Retired settler, may 2012 - oktober 2017

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by matie2506 View Post
    when does this feature come ?
    Unknown...

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Fero View Post
    Finally I need to point one thing out. You don't NEED extra space. You WANT extra space. Once your island is packed full and well optimized, your economy most likely exceeds 99.9% of your fellow players' output. Adding a bit of extra space will simply increase that limit slightly further, which you will no doubt reach pretty quickly. You will end up in the same situation again.
    What King said.

All of life, and any game worth playing for an extended period of time, is about making decisions. Sometimes you can't have everything and need to make a choice of either A or B. Indeed, decision making and strategy is what has made the Settlers games so strong. The very fact that you CAN'T have everything and sometimes have to make hard choices is what makes it worthwhile.

Please remember that developers! The long-term players want content that requires them to make decisions. This is something which has been lost sight of in pretty much every update over the last year - the science tree ALMOST (almost!) made it but there were just too many "filler" options and no real choice. Good thing the underlying game is still so solid.

So, no, I don't want massively more space on my island. A little bit more here and there would be welcome, but I'm sure I'll find a way to cope within the existing limits even if I have to sacrifice some existing buildings now and again and change my strategy as new updates are released.

World
    Newfoundland
    I think the biggest issue with this is the cost. On TSO i removed all the available rocks and it cost 33k in gems, and for the price it didn't give that much more space.

The solution is to let you buy parts of the water for development (i.e changing it form water to island) for a cost of granite or gc, gems is the price was lower.
    BAAAHHHHHJJJAAA
    Noun (bah, yah)
    Extreme articulation of both negative and positive exuberance

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    The price was a little high, but I would still remove the rocks even at that price, I can't see why it's taking so long, do they only have 3 or 4 people working on this game?

Reply to Thread