Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trade Office - Search Options

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove

Trade Office - Search Options

Hi,

I am a regular in the Trade Office and when searching for items it would be a really nice feature to include the abbreviation search feature.

For example if you write "bs#", it will yield trades with bronze swords. Now in this case you might not see the point...

But when searching "b#", you will only get trades with bows. Now you see the point. Because try searching bows, and you get crossbows, longbows, bows, and people whose names has "bows" in them... there are other searches where this hold true as well.

So all items will get an abbreviation, people already use them in tradetab or chat as it is. pwl, ewp, ewl, tp*, and so on.

I am aware of the "bronze$" that only yields trades with bronze (bars) which is half way there really (still doesn't solve the bows problem though). All I am asking for is for the abbreviations to be used. Then I would not have to spell out "exotic wood planks$", but a nice "ewp#".

Thanks, hope it is not too much trouble in the dev.department. I guess you could still use the $ sign but apply the abbreviated names when it is in use.

Give it a ranking up - upper right corner - if you like it.

Kind regards,
    Magnus

*Trashpeter, you what I am talking about

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    This would only work for the UK version of the game. What about all the other versions that use different abbreviations?

The current search engine looks for the words in the database related to items. So when you ask for Sword, it will bring up all versions of sword (including usernames)
    To make your idea function, the abbreviation used locally by each version of the game would need to added to the database. This would add x number of fields to the database that could cause even more errors and lag.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by MOD_Daz View Post
    This would only work for the UK version of the game. ... To make your idea function, the abbreviation used locally by each version of the game would need to added to the database. This would add x number of fields to the database that could cause even more errors and lag.
    Why do you think so? Different language UIs use different words for the same object right now, also search. Well, a database inside has no need any human language to identify a record, so probably it uses a "translater" function for each language before database query. The same way can expand that functions with abbreviations. The only thing required is to "standardize" formulas, conveniently use the nowadays widespread abbreviations.

Anyway, only in rare case need to search user names right in TO, also example of bow shows well the poorness of TO search/filter.

Quartermaster
    World
    Sandycove
    Is it really that much of an inconvenience to type the full name of a resource? Typing BS instead of bronze swords saves what 3-5 seconds for a really slow typer?

Also factor in that not all resources have a short hand version like bread or horses.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Sandycove
    The main advantage is not the shorter time or convenience but the clarity. Well, good enough some sign what does the same at the search frase beginning like $ at the end...

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    Yes, Mod_Daz,

Of course it will have to be localized and some new abbreviations would have to be made for bread and horses and such.

The current $ function is limited in the sense it wont account for cases such as bows and names which is somewhat confusing. In most cases this is not a problem like iron bars or bronze bars. This $ seems to be a quick hack that works okay, but does not provide a solution to the entire problem. Why I call it a hack.

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    I´m sorry but then learn to use the filters. If you want to buy bows then just remover advanced and expert from the filter and no longbows or crossbows will show up. Of course if you want to buy things for bow, then its another thing. But how often do anyone actually search for something the want to buy other items for.
    "How good bad music and bad reasons sound when we march against an enemy"
    Nietzsche

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    Thinking about it, I would rather see a search field above "offer", "cost" and "user" so I can enter a more specific search, like I want to find some exotic planks in the "offer" and exotic logs in the "cost", I personally see that as much more useful.
    "How good bad music and bad reasons sound when we march against an enemy"
    Nietzsche

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    +1
    Hope to see this implemented, meanwhile you can use ^bows$ to find only bows
    More examples:
    EWP: ex.*p
    EWL: ex.*d$
    BS: ze s
    SS: l s
    EFB: fru

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Yes I can see how typing something like 'hardwood planks' takes a lot of effort - maybe people who can't do this should be restricted to water - far more simpler!

Reply to Thread