Reply to Thread

Thread: Buff sort logic

World
    Sandycove

Buff sort logic

is there any logic to it in star menu? Cos Im failing to see any. Where I thought the prov buffs may have all been grouped in alpha order, it falls down. And in other places too. I thought at one point I understood it, but not now

I dont get it - maybe easier to just sort the whole lot in alpha order irrespective of building?

World
    Sandycove
    Judging from what I see it's typical (badly implemented) SQL code...

If you do something like "select * from table.buffs" SQL does not order the returns. You get the result in a random order.
    This is most often solved by having a key (index) on the table but often DB designers don't consider indexes even though they dramatically increase speed and provide predictability. Alternatively you can add a "order by" clause (but this increases CPU usage because of the nature of the sort). An index is better.

Go figure...

( same issue on the order listed of the generals when hovering over on an adventure btw)

I spent a little time pondering this again, and while I didn't go to FishSmell's level of detail there is some kind of ordering of the overall buffs (a hidden category?) but I find it quite amusing that when you reduce a stack that stack will often move within the 'group' - seems a dba was lacking on the table setup from what I can see. Still, once you get used to it (and are willing to laugh a bit) it's not so bad.

Connected to me is that after an attack the order of the troops that show in the mouse-over on a general shift. I can't quite sort that one out yet.
    Last edited by Xibor; 17.12.15 at 20:04. Reason: Additional thoughts
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

World
    Newfoundland
    If that were the case then steaks would appear at the end of the star because they were the last ones to be added. But that is not the case, as they appear after fish platters. I think it's alphabetical order but also ordered by what it does - e.g. production buffs come first and then major house buffs, etc. And inside the production buffs, they are also ordered by strength, i.e. first the x2 buffs then the x3 buffs and x4 buffs at the end, and then alphabetically, so fish platter and then grilled steaks. And I think buffs that only affect a select a few building types like harvest rituals, carrots, gold fevers, etc. are sorted to the beginning of the production buff list?

Nifty
    World
    Newfoundland
    if i were to guess all items would be grouped into categories then those categories would be grouped into other categories =)

Reply to Thread