Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wolfs ate my crossbowmen

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland

Wolfs ate my crossbowmen

In the unit description it clearly says that crossbowmen can't be attacked before all melee units are dead, so why was all my crossbowmen immediately killed by wolfes when my battle started?

World
    Newfoundland
    What did you send with them? Was it a trap or a camp? What other troops did it contain?
    It's not my fault that I never learned to take responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggis View Post
    The Germans have 3x gem happy hour..... we have an Alpaca!

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    It was a camp with roughnecks, rangers and guard dogs (not wolfes). I had recruits, soldiers and militia. My soldiers got home fine.

World
    Sandycove
    That is because "attacks weakest units first" comes before "can only be attacked when there are no melee units remaining".

You can read more about the combat mechanics here

PS. This specific mechanic isn't specifically mentioned there, but it is clearly implied.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    Dogs attack the weakest unit, overriding anything else.

If you're using xbows, you should know that by now...

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Logically, they should be redirected to the recruits, who was the weakest units except the "unattackable" ones.

Makes me feel like quiting this silly game for good.... >

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    if u dont like it, don;t play is the only advice i can give u- mechanics are what they are and finding this particular one out at the xbow level seems a bit unbelievable to me, this is an issue that would have raised its head with bows or longbows on main island and earlier adventures already-

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    If you're talking about logic, then the situation you have is simply that there are two mutually contradictory requirements, so a decision had to be made (at the programming level) as to which one over-rides the other.

The decision was made that "attacks weakest" over-rides "cautious". Could easily have been decided the other way round but it wasn't. There's no "logic" behind choosing one over the other, and sometimes you will be on the better side of this decision (eg if you were attacking rangers defended by roughnecks)

The only lack of logic is that the developers have given no indication of their decision and you have to learn it through trial and error. You can complain about that to support if you want, but complaining that the battle mechanic works one way rather than another just because it was to your detriment this time around seems pointless.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    I guess you boys&girls are right. I'm a bit cranky today because of my "material" life going to [ Censored ]. Thanks for the link to the combatsystem-thread! I was already aware that archers were primary targets for first-strike units, but for some reason I thought that it didn't apply to the crossbowmen.

I got me some new crossbows in the market, and I also discovered that I can train elite soldiers, so I will get my ass back in the battlefield
    Last edited by peck_ed; 09.03.13 at 16:08.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by av-fallet View Post
    i guess you boys&girls are right. I'm a bit cranky today because of my "material" life going to [ censored ]. Thanks for the link to the combatsystem-thread! I was already aware that archers were primary targets for first-strike units, but for some reason i thought that it didn't apply to the crossbowmen.

I got me some new crossbows in the market, and i also discovered that i can train elite soldiers, so i will get my ass back in the battlefield

Reply to Thread