Reply to Thread

Thread: My 2 cents

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland

Question My 2 cents

I must say I like where this game is headed. To a point...
    My main concern is with building walk-time-thingy (the green flags that pop up) and I would very much like that feature available only for the tutorial - I mean, 17 levels is enough time to learn how, where and why to place you buildings. At later levels you pretty much have all sorts of production chains sorted out, the little green flags don't (or shouldn't) make much of a difference. Besides, seeing the amount of time it takes for a building to deliver it's goods really cuts in on the use of building moving thingy (when it would become available for us all). And more to the point, everyone's home base would look exactly the same (identical even) because the ultimate goal is to have such a streamlined home production system that you would concern yourself only with adventures/pvp/pve(?)/quests (daily or otherwise) and replenishing one's wheat fields/wells/mines.
    Also, the same problem I have with the upcoming economy overview - the one that's replacing all the excel production calculators/online production overview tools and the like. I mean, I kinda get it (the game itself should provide some sort of feedback as to the production chains and how they're doing), but ultimately the player should have his own version of how he wants things to progress AND have the option to screw it up. Having all those after-market tools proves involvement (on behalf of the players that use them and mods who made them available) and should be encouraged because it breathes longevity into the game (BB's ultimate goal).
    Again, all my grievances can easily be addressed by making them available exclusively to new players (only in the new tutorial - you guys ARE making a new one, right?). Ok, the economy overview should be present (in a form or other) later in the game, granted, but maybe only as an expansion overview(?) and future planing tool. Maybe.

Just out of curiosity, am I the only one who feels this way? I mean, I know a lot have complained about the upgrade confirmation box (another feature I see confined solely to the tutorial)

Kind regards,
    T.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland

My other 2 cents...

Another thing I've come to hate (yes, it's a strong word, but it's appropriate) is the trade system. Here's the scenario: I need something, so I hunt said item on the trade channel. When I find it, I make the offer and wait for the seller to approve the transaction so we could both get on with the game. Only that doesn't happen instantly. Herein lies the problem: if it takes a lot of time for the seller to approve the transaction, I may feel inclined to search for the item some more, and make another offer. Or I forget I already made one offer for the item, same thing. Now I run the risk of buying more than I need (or want, or have the money to buy).

See, the thing is, only the seller can reject an offer, me, as a buyer, don't know how many offers I've made, how long ago, for what items/costs or even if the offer is legit or not. That's plain wrong! The way the game is built, no one man can have all the industries running full throttle all the time, well at least not as successfully as the more specialized players out there (there are people making a certain amount of goods and then trading them for other goods/money, we all know this to be true), and I agree with this concept. It's feasible and appropriate for a MMO browser game. But give the buyer some options, will you?!? Come on, we're getting blindsided here, and it ruins the experience.

Kind regards,
    T.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    No you're not the only one who thinks it. (And FYI trade system is being overhauled)

I've never thought we need all these tools to show us what we can see and what we can keep track of. I think the idea of having the distance/time to storehouse in the tutorial is a good idea and you're right, after that you should have an idea. And I've never thought we need all the facts and figures of what we're producing to tell us what we're short of. Click the mayors house, look at the list. If somethings low you can actually physically see the figure for yourself. A lot of these features are taking away the point of the game, and that is that we control, and indeed mess up, our economy, and by messing up we also learn. If we get told everything, how will players learn?

I an 100% against anything that automates the game. I think it's just fine as it is, and it really isn't difficult to see 'there's a storehouse there, so I'll put this here', and it's easier still to see if somethings dropping in the storehouse.

World
    Newfoundland
    I'm with Cully on this, what's the point in playing a game if the game plays itself?
    If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving is not for you.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    There's playing a game and knowing what is going on, and playing a game and not having the information.

Yes, I see my Pine wood stock has dropped low. But why ?
    Do I have not have enough cutters or foresters ?
    Have I built too many sawmills, bowmakers or Coking Plants ? Or are the follow on buildings requiring more as I have been on some adventures and are restocking my Copper Smelter and Bronze Weaponsmith ?
    Have the buffs that I applied to help my short term high usage run out ?
    Or have I just used too many recently in trade and therefore know that my stock will build up again and therefore do not need to worry ?

There are numerous reasons for a shortage.
    In my opinion the game should give us as much information as possible (which the new feature looks like it will help do), so that we can run our community and not hand hold every last settler.

I know there are outside sources for tracking your item flow, which a lot probably use. I know I did at first but got bored with having to keep updating it with buffs and new buildings. I also think this proves that this should be in-game or at least linked to the game in some way so that it is automated. As in it automatically knows what buildings you have and gives you the information.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalid View Post
    There's playing a game and knowing what is going on, and playing a game and not having the information.

Yes, I see my Pine wood stock has dropped low. But why ?
    Do I have not have enough cutters or foresters ?
    Have I built too many sawmills, bowmakers or Coking Plants ? Or are the follow on buildings requiring more as I have been on some adventures and are restocking my Copper Smelter and Bronze Weaponsmith ?
    Have the buffs that I applied to help my short term high usage run out ?
    Or have I just used too many recently in trade and therefore know that my stock will build up again and therefore do not need to worry ?

There are numerous reasons for a shortage.
    In my opinion the game should give us as much information as possible (which the new feature looks like it will help do), so that we can run our community and not hand hold every last settler.

I know there are outside sources for tracking your item flow, which a lot probably use. I know I did at first but got bored with having to keep updating it with buffs and new buildings. I also think this proves that this should be in-game or at least linked to the game in some way so that it is automated. As in it automatically knows what buildings you have and gives you the information.
    If you watch the backstage video on the home page of the site the Economy Planner will provide this information.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneMunki View Post
    If you watch the backstage video on the home page of the site the Economy Planner will provide this information.
    Maybe I should have pointed out that this was a response to Cully and Tierarzt, who seem to be against the new Economy Planner.

Reply to Thread