Closed Thread
Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: A workaround to still use the old client

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle

A workaround to still use the old client (updated 6 September for event)

@SirriS_RU posted a workaround in https://forum.thesettlersonline.com/...-please/page12 so that you can still use the old client. It works for me and at least one other poster and gave me vastly improved performance. I'm reposting it here for visibility, with some clarifications and minor simplifications because I heard some people say the original post was too complicated:

---

1. Find the game client folder where the file "The Settlers Online.exe" is located. It might be C:\Program Files (x86)\The Settlers Online or it might be %localappdata%\Ubisoft\The Settlers Online (you can go there by copy-pasting that into your file explorer). If you only see client.exe but not "The Settlers Online.exe", it's not the right location.
    2. rename the file The Settlers Online.exe to anything else you like, e.g. The Settlers Online old.exe.
    3. rename the client.exe file (or client_real.exe if you used the highlight) to The Settlers Online.exe
    4. download the[removed]file and place it next to The Settlers Online.exe
    5. install the Tampermonkey extension: Chrome [removed], Edge [removed] , Firefox [removed]
    6. in your browser, in the extension tab, activate the Tampermonkey extension if it's not activated already.
    7. install[removed] in the browser via Tampermonkey
    8. on the main page of the game, press OLD CLIENT

Every time there's an update, @SirriS_RU also updates the file [removed]in step 4 and then it works again (same link, different file). So if you had this working and now it's not, then just re-download the file from step 4 and it'll work again. If you want to get this working for the first time, the steps above are still valid.
    Last edited by BB_Trafffer; 06.07.22 at 11:56.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    the next question is: how legal is this work around in the eyes of BB- is this a bannable offence or a frowned upon workaround that we can use ...(and secrtetly they are happy we use it as it takes some pressure off)

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    The "play game" button still launches the unity client. It seems ideal for me since it allows people who can run the standalone client to run that, anyone else can use the new unity client instead. People can easily test the unity client by just hitting the play game button.

It will likely stop being possible after a new event with new content, but it seems a bit silly for new content to be added to a broken unity client if that is meant to be the only option for playing, 100% of the work should be on getting the unity client to function at the same level as the original flash client before anything new is added in my opinion.

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualan View Post
    the next question is: how legal is this work around in the eyes of BB- is this a bannable offence or a frowned upon workaround that we can use ...(and secrtetly they are happy we use it as it takes some pressure off)
    We are aware of this change but I suggest that you do not try it - this may end badly for your system. There is no guarantee it will make any positive changes to your game, and this method doesn't change the game engine - it's still Unity & the same build.

The use of any third-party tools, extensions, etc. is prohibited by TOS. We are not going to have a "witch hunt", but if we ever decide to activate the script in the future, there is no way around it.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    The standalone client is adobe air based, it's got nothing to do with unity. The server likely doesn't run on unity either since its basically a chat server and a database interface.

The exe and swf files are from the standalone client.

The only thing being provided is the javascript file. It's not got any obfuscation so you can open it with a notepad type text editor and read exactly what it does (helps if you understand javascript though), nothing is being hidden. The js file does not modify the game itself at all, it just adds buttons to the setters online homepage to facilitate adding a link to load the adobe air client. You could achieve the same with viewing the homepage source when logged in and adjusting the loading game url so the older client runs.

No need for the fearmongering.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Northisle
    If it is client, then it is must old version ( as it was with last version of client ) - any updates will not be implemented and if changes in database it may corrupt database and make game unplayable.

Or is that also fearmongering ?

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    there hasn't been any events or updates since unity launch so the adobe air client is still current.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by halv12 View Post
    If it is client, then it is must old version ( as it was with last version of client ) - any updates will not be implemented and if changes in database it may corrupt database and make game unplayable.

Or is that also fearmongering ?
    Even if it's the old client it works fully at the moment and the Unity version is the one actually behind in features and updates causing database errors and locking people outside their island or just being terrible to use in general. It might change when new content is added but that does not seem that they would run new events or such when so many people cant even play.

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Do I read it correctly that Flash client could be absolutely easily used along the crap Unity until now if only BB dd very tiny adjustments to make it accessible directly from their main page? No "impossibility" as BB and some "way-too-smart" "experts" on forums claim?

Forum Explorer
    World
    Northisle
    I dont say that it dont work - and I dont say it is dangerous to use it now - I say that if BB changes something it MAY cause big problems or maybe not.

Closed Thread